Status
Not open for further replies.

swepisode

Portal Member
March 7, 2005
Dresden
Home Country
Germany Germany
please re-add the support for s/w TV cards. Maybe disable recording option.
but with deleting the support, the radio usability was also removed.

I don´t wanna use my old terratec card for ecording, but for watching tv and listening radio.

MysticWhiteDragon

January 21, 2006
I'm sad that they removed the support for software tv tuners :cry: .

I have built a PC inside of an XBox console and have everything working but the TV Tuner. I hope that they re-enable the possibility of software cards in the near future.

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

jawbroken

Portal Pro
August 13, 2005
Home Country
Afghanistan Afghanistan
As far as I know, software cards will never been supported again (maybe through a third party plugin?), no matter how many crying emoticons are posted :)

Khris

Portal Pro
July 2, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Home Country
Canada Canada
jawbroken said:
As far as I know, software cards will never been supported again (maybe through a third party plugin?), no matter how many crying emoticons are posted :)

Exactly.....and sorry if this sounds harsh, but people need to stop asking for MP to support S/W cards again. The devs removed it, for many good reasons, and because of that, will not be adding it back.

Asking them to add support back for SW cards is only going to annoy them so PLEASE don't do it!! :)

tomtom21000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2004
    Germany
    The solution is easy. Offer the last working mp version with sw support on sf or the website. State that it is no longer developed or maintained officially.
    I have my old sw tv card in my desktop and won´t update mp anymore on this system. This way I can still use mp and since I have all vital functions working fine, thats ok with me.

This way you can make an offer to the people with older secondary systems or htpc with sw card (although switching to a hw tv card was the best decision I made for my htpc)

My 2c

tomtom

Spragleknas

• Team MediaPortal
  • December 21, 2005
    Located
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    jawbroken said:

That would be great!

Callifo

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 7, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Home Country
    It was said a while back that software support would be re-added IF someone stepped forward and did all the work for it. Its OS so whats missing can be added but none of the current devs want to do it as honestly its a step back in performance.

soletread

August 29, 2005
    You disable SW support and you will probably cut off about 50% of your user base.

Comments like: "Asking them to add support back for SW cards is only going to annoy them so PLEASE don't do it!!" kind of comes accross as elitist arrogance.

It's such a pity, that such great potential can only be ruined by these abrasive attitutes.

Total lack of consideration will surely cause major exodus of faithful supporters and then of course word of mouth spreads. Cut backs like these.... hmm, the writings on the wall folks.

I could go and buy a HW card only to run media portal, but I am not going to, based on my concerns that you as developers are alienating majorities (I believe more people are using MP - or should I say used, with SW cards) not so much by excluding the support from your coding which is understandable considering the lack of funding, but the ATTITUDES are just so BAD !! You can put as many smilies behind comments like these, it helps nought.

Ag maybe a diminished user base is not a bad thing. You can focus on a niche market and develop a superior product. A belated tip: .NET is the biggest thorn in MP's side.

Good luck chaps.

For all annoyed SW card owners; Imedian kicks butt. Full SW support stutter free recording. (missing FM and XMLTV though - release updates about 1x a month) A bit of a catch 22 though, cause it might just cost you more than a HW card. But if you might have it already, give it another try.

Khris

Portal Pro
    July 2, 2005
    Edmonton, AB
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    ^^^^^ This kind of attitude is exactly what caused Smirnoff to get fed up and leave the project.

If you don't like that MP no longer supports SW cards, and don't plan on buying a hardware card (even though doing so would greatly inprove the functionality, and useability of MP compared to a SW card), then feel free to find another program which suits your needs.

"It's such a pity, that such great potential can only be ruined by these abrasive attitutes." - And it's even more of a pity that people like you feel you should be catered to.

"Total lack of consideration will surely cause major exodus of faithful supporters and then of course word of mouth spreads. Cut backs like these.... hmm, the writings on the wall folks. " - Actually, the faithful supporters most likely have hardware encoder cards as they understand the advantages.

"I could go and buy a HW card only to run media portal, but I am not going to, based on my concerns that you as developers are alienating majorities (I believe more people are using MP - or should I say used, with SW cards) not so much by excluding the support from your coding which is understandable considering the lack of funding, but the ATTITUDES are just so BAD !! You can put as many smilies behind comments like these, it helps nought. " - Yet more proof that you really don't care for the well being of MP at all. Most people start out buying a SW TV card as they don't fully understand what a hardware card is, or it's advantages. (Yes I'm speaking from experience). If you're unwilling to understand why SW cards are no longer supported, then as previously mentioned, feel free to find something that does support your SW card as MP won't!

"Ag maybe a diminished user base is not a bad thing. You can focus on a niche market and develop a superior product. A belated tip: .NET is the biggest thorn in MP's side. " - A diminished userbase which doesn't include S/W encoder cards is definately a step in the right direction.

"For all annoyed SW card owners; Imedian kicks butt. Full SW support stutter free recording. (missing FM and XMLTV though - release updates about 1x a month) A bit of a catch 22 though, cause it might just cost you more than a HW card. But if you might have it already, give it another try." - If this program is going to cost you more then a hardware encoder card....WHY THE HELL WOULD SOMEONE SWITCH???

One last thought for you......don't let the door hit you on the way out!!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom