Same Codec as XBMC? (1 Viewer)

kazooless

Portal Member
November 22, 2010
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Thanks to the responses here. Because of them, I am now enjoying my Media Portal instead of XBMC. It is definitely a lot more work but I agree that if everything gets worked out with the effort, then it is worth it.

I still have a few things to work out, but thanks to the TV-Series and Moving Pictures plug ins, my setup is getting pretty close to the way I was used to using XBMC. On my to do list is:

1. try a different skin
2. get my remote to work a little better
3. add bluray playback via the plugin
4. add live TV

Thanks again,

kazoo

emphatic

Design Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 25, 2006
    Alingsås
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Glad to hear you like it! What are your remote control issues as of now? And what remote are you using?

Emph

Tesla

Portal Pro
    January 30, 2009
    Texas
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    With all this talk of XBMC, I would like to take a look at it.

Can I install it on the same box I have MP 1.x and SAF 5.x installed on?

It's my understanding that XBMC has it's own codecs, so what I have installed for MP to work should not interfere with XBMC, right? Likewise, installing XBMC should not mess up my MP install, right?

When MP is not running, the only part of MP that is active (as far as I know) is the MPTray program ... that shouldn't mess with XBMC should it?

Pandanus

Portal Member
    October 24, 2011
    You can yes. Personally I've looked at XBMC (using a version with Live TV support) and I was really happy with it until I actually tried to play some video. I had an issue on literally the first file I tried and Live TV picture quality was pretty poor too.

Problems aside, a properly configured MediaPortal installation is unbeatable for video quality IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom