Same volume level (1 Viewer)

Lemond

Portal Member
December 3, 2008
Home Country
Denmark Denmark
Hi there

I am ripping my CD collection with Windows Media Player to WMA format.
When I play them in MP the volume level is slightly different from album to album. Is it possible to fix this in MP? Or should it be done when I rip the files?
Thanks for help.

MediaPortal Version: 1
Windows Version: XP

hwahrmann

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • September 15, 2004
    Vienna, Austria
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Country flag
    Look at Configuration -> Music -> Music DSP and see if Dynamic Amplification may help you.
    Or you can try to find a Winamp or VST Volume Leveler and activate it in that section.

Lemond

Portal Member
    December 3, 2008
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Hi hwahrmann

Thank you for your answer. I did not have enough time to test it yesterday, so I will reply later about whether it has helped.
    But you are right about Winamp, I think it has a feature that can do it, but how do I activate Winamp in MP?
    I tried to enable the Winamp plugin and wrote wma in the configuration of extensions, but I have not been able to choose Winamp as the player in music configuration. Do I need to do something else or install Winamp separately?

hwahrmann

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • September 15, 2004
    Vienna, Austria
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Country flag
    nope, you don't need to activate winamp.
    winamp does thisvia DSP plugins, those are dlls in the winamp\pluins folder , that start with dsp_*.
    And there are various dsp plugins, which you can download from the winamp site.
    justplace them in MusicPlayer\plugins\dsp and then they will show up in the VST/Winamp section of Music -> Music DSP, where you can activate them and BAS will use them.

Lemond

Portal Member
    December 3, 2008
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    I have now worked some more on getting equal volume level. I think the Dynamic Amplification is more adjusting the volume within a track (levels it out) and that’s not what I want to do.
    I found other “normalizing” plugins for Winamp but again not what I want.

Then I tried the ReplayGain feature of Winamp and that worked fine. I then enabled Winamp as player in MP and the different tracks were (more) leveled.

But there were some problems when using Winamp: the picture in the left bottom corner is now missing (the picture related to the current track, when the tracks are shown in a list) and fast forward didn’t work, it started the track from the beginning instead. I guess the picture is “sent” to Winamp as file-info instead of being used in MP. I have tried to turn all file-info off in Winamp but without luck.
    Does anyone have suggestions?

Users who are viewing this thread