Sandy Bridge and 23.976fps (1 Viewer)

elsmandino

Portal Pro
March 3, 2011
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hello,

I am really struggling to understand the limitations of Sandy Bridge integrated graphics and their inability to play 23.976fps - i.e. they can only play 24fps.

Can anyone let me know firstly when this actually causes and problem and secondly, whether, in real life terms, it causes noticable problem.

Thanks

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    Issue is slight stuttering in video. If you had a video recorded at 100 fps played back at 110 fps then to keep everything in time you need to display some of those 100 frames for a little longer on screen. This causes stutter which is more noticeable on panning shots. This is more noticeable to some people than others.

That said I thought they had updated the Intel drivers so you get something like 23.970 or something which is much more subtle than 24

elsmandino

Portal Pro
    March 3, 2011
    Home Country
    Thank you both for that. The reason I ask is that I am thinking of selling my Revo Aspire and building something a bit faster. I have been recommended an E350 mobo combination, but I was just looking at how cheap it would be to build a small nettop based upon a G620 and a cheap mini-itx mobo.

Am I right in thinking that this mismatch in terms of frames only happens when watching Blu Rays, which are filmed at the 23.970 rate?

I agree that if that intel driver has been update, it should make things less noticable.

Ray - was your decision to run everything at 60hz deliberately in relation to this problem, or was this just how your setup was anyway?

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.

Can anyone let me know firstly when this actually causes and problem
    All Sandy Bridge chipsets available today causes this issue. Not the GPU itself. But this did not make any difference...

secondly, whether, in real life terms, it causes noticable problem.
    This is on BluRay playback only, no matter if "real" BluRay or ripped ISO or MKV... On Television or DVD you would never see this issue.

BTW this Bug is not limited to SandyBridge GPU. Lots of others did have this too. Most OnBoard GPU are not able to playback 23,976fps. And there are some discrete Graphics also (Nvidia and ATI) with this problem. And lots of other hardware like Televisions, AVR, HDMI Splitter,... are also not able to play 23.976 nicely.

If you want a pure Cinema playback you need to have a strong look after your hardware from GPU via AVR to Television. All components must be able to play 23.976.

BTW most people will never notice this. So maybe you need to find out yourself if this is notable. If you like to have all possibilities get yourself a mainboard with PCIe X16 and a case with enough room to add a discrete graphics (e.g. NVidia GT 520) later if necessary...

elsmandino

Portal Pro
    March 3, 2011
    Home Country
    Thanks Claus.

I think that perhaps I am worrying a little too much about this. I hadn't realised that I would have to make sure that my TV and amplifier would have to be able to run 23.976 adequately as well (I have no idea if they can).

I also note your comments about most onboard graphics not being able to handle 23.976fps. I am currently using an Asus mobo with HD4200 onboard graphics and I have not noticed any real problems with this whilst playing blu-ray.

I see that loads of people on here are using Sandy Bridge onboard graphics without any problem so maybe I should not stress about something that is not a massive problem.

I think that there is a lot of misleading articles on the web overstating what a problem there is with HD2000 and HD3000 graphics.

elsmandino

Portal Pro
    March 3, 2011
    Home Country
    In fact, I am now tempted to swap the i3-2120 that I currently have in my desktop rig with the Athlon II x2 240e/HD4200 motherboard that I currently have in my HTPC server.

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder"

A lot of people are "purists", and I have seen stuttering with certain drivers\codecs, but that has been a rare experience for me, and I quickly reverted what had changed, maybe I'm lucky, but my personnel TV still only accepts 60hz, main TV does upto 100hz with variance's and still cannot tell them apart.

Dumb or what ;)

elsmandino

Portal Pro
    March 3, 2011
    Home Country
    Fantastic find Jameson - I think that pretty much seals the deal with my going for a new build with something cheap like a G620 and a mini-itx 1155 board. This CPU uses HD2000 graphics - would this chip still be able to handle everything I chuck at it as a MP client including 1080i video?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom