Scan movie db by folder name not file name? (1 Viewer)

Datenshi

Portal Member
November 21, 2007
The "Search by Foldername" feature would be awesome, If there was already code developed for it in 2.0.0 as stated earlier it should'nt be that hard to implement again?
Im currently looking into making an autoit script for automaticly updating the DB...The things we do for our dads... :D
Well, I will release the script on the forum if it gets done(depends if i find a better solution then whats being offered atm) .

fkm

Portal Member
February 4, 2007
I have to second this feature request!

I'm really surprised the option to collect IMDB information etc by Folder name as opposed to file name is unavailable. Seems like basic enough functionality but let's hope it might be given some priority down the line.

blobo

Portal Member
March 3, 2008
Just wanted to get this thread up :)

I really think that this would be an essential feature. To get the database working properly, i can either search for the titles manually or rename the files.. I don't want to do either, as this simple change would solve the problem.

darkie

Portal Member
March 13, 2008
I made a small java app which will go through all directories and give all the file names the name of that directory. It will also keep multiples cd's in mind, so if a movie exists of 2 or more files, it'll put CD<number> behind it.
Also it puts a file with the original name of the movie since it tell's you more about it (can come in handy when you're searching for the correct subtitle :))

Not sure if anybody is interested?

blobo

Portal Member
March 3, 2008
Do you even have to ask? ha!

It's still not the optimal solution, but the extra file with original file name is the best option available, i guess..

so yes please, post it if you can.

GAMe

Portal Member
July 16, 2006
Folder Features

Hi All...

This is something which I requested a long time back and started a few threads on this topic, with alot of other peeps commenting in the same way but sadly nothing has still been implemented in my opinion its one of the few things wrong with MP... over all its amazing but to have it search for folder name or file name and use folder.jpg would be absolutely amazing!... anyways I still cant rant too much as I said MP still rocks! and im always in anticipation to when this feature comes out.

By the way... I know its horrible but im now in the process of renaming everything :-( not nice! :-(

darkie

Portal Member
March 13, 2008
Ok then :)

http://users.edpnet.be/darkie/movierenamer/MovieRenamer.bat
http://users.edpnet.be/darkie/movierenamer/MovieRenamer.jar
http://users.edpnet.be/darkie/movierenamer/MovieRenamer.java

You can use the bat file for easy reuse. Just put all the directories you want to scan and rename between double quotes and seperated by a space.

Put both files in the same directory(which one doesn't matter)

Directories where it finds a .info file, the application skips. This is because I create a new file with the original name but with a .info extention. So if there is ANY .info file in it, it'll be skipped. This can be important to know if you keep group release files with your extracted movies, since they are also named .info. If this is a problem, I can change it (or you can do it yourself, source is included).

Only thing you will need is a Java JRE 6.0 (maybe 5.0 also works, not sure under which one I compiled :))

You'll find this JRE on this page:
Java SE Downloads

And there you take: Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 6 Update 5

Little disclaimer: I'm not reponsible for any loss of data or bad renaming.
So first test it on your system since I only tested it on mine. Because I only rename files, I can't see for any reason that something goes bad ... but it can't hurt to do a quick test :)

I'm going to put a quick question here:
At first MP' found only 4 movies of the 91. Now about 70, the problem is that for the remaining 21, he finds mulitple IMDB possibilities. I've checked the option that he takes one automatically ... but still he ask's manual input? Is there a fix for this? And is there a way to schedule this as well? Or a script/tool that'll do all this for me?
It looks like MP uses a sqllite db, so I can probably write something myself, but it would be easier if it already existed :)

jimmy

May 8, 2008
Home Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Hi all, i too would be keen to see the search by folder name added to MP. Renaming or converting is painful.

gxtracker

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 25, 2005
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    It looks like MP uses a sqllite db, so I can probably write something myself, but it would be easier if it already existed :)

It's always easier when someone else does the work for you. ;)

I doubt this is a feature you will see built into MP anytime soon, but being that it's an open source program, having someone add this functionality to a plugin like MyFilms should be rather trivial.

My Videos is nice for IMDB info, but there are other community made solutions that handle feature length films much better than my videos does.

Or, everyone could always just name their videos properly. Darkie was kind enough to release his script for doing that a few posts up. :D For the people with VIDEO_TS folders, either rip your DVD's as ISO's, or re-encode the videos as MKV files.

IMO, you're searching for a solution to a problem that shouldn't even exist in the first place.

rjburke377

Portal Member
    March 24, 2008
    Ottawa
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    My Videos is nice for IMDB info, but there are other community made solutions that handle feature length films much better than my videos does.
    Which community made solution is better than my videos? Why do you think so? :D
    Or, everyone could always just name their videos properly. Darkie was kind enough to release his script for doing that a few posts up. :D For the people with VIDEO_TS folders, either rip your DVD's as ISO's, or re-encode the videos as MKV files.
    I have ripped my DVDs to ISOs and found annoying problems with the Media Portal implementation. It won't properly allow selection from a "stacked" list then mount the selected ISO. The code creates a fake playlist for ISO selection, and then passes the selected ISO directly to the decoder ... which only works if you have a specialized decoder like the one in Nero showtime installed on your HTPC. It should have checked to see if the file needed to be mounted and that daemon tools was enabled and then mounted the ISO. There are other logic problems in this code too when using ISOs.
    IMO, you're searching for a solution to a problem that shouldn't even exist in the first place.
    Why shouldn't the problem exist? I don't follow. Do you mean that there are workarounds to the issues described above?

Media Portal is one of the best HTPC front ends I've used. The developers deserve a lot of respect. The software is still far from being usable when all you want to do is let your family use your HTPC without much fuss. You end up having to become a developer or IT expert to get the last 20%.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom