Scanning for DVB-S Single Cable LNB (1 Viewer)

vuego

Documentation Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 5, 2006
    Göteborg
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    I have two cables from the Quad LNB connected to my Quad TBS 6985 DVS-S2 TV card. There is no DiSEqC involved that I know of.

The first cable is of a Universal type and MediaPortal TV-Server finds all channels when scanning using the band Ku-Linear (Universal).

The other cable though is of the type Single Cable LNB. I can find all channels when scanning on my set-top-box manually setting the band to Single Cable but when connecting the same cable to the TV-card, MediaPortal is unable to find any channels. What band should I select? I think I tried them all but no channels are found.

Here's the menus on the STB. It can scan and find channels.
    DSC_0001.JPG
    Antenna settings
    Tuner: 1
    User band: 1
    Frequency (MHz): 1210

DSC_0002.JPG
    Start transponder
    DVB Norm: DVB-S
    Frequency (MHz): 11247
    SR (MS/s): 24,500
    Polarization: Vertical
    (Roll-off: 0,20)
    Power: 94%
    Quality: 100%
    Tuner: 1
    BER: 0,0E0

I don't know how to configure MediaPortal when scanning.
    What band to select.png

Which band should I select that the STB calls "Single Cable LNB"?
    Scanning using Ku-Linear (Universal) gives just No signal.

Any ideas would be appreciated, thanks :)

spachti

Portal Pro
    July 27, 2005
    Bible Belt
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Last edited:

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    @spachti
    Yes "it CAN work"... but not for Vuego.

In general there are two ways that Unicable can work.

1. Via support built into DVB/player software.
    When I said that our TV Server does not support Unicable, this is what I was referring to. We categorically do not have any code for Unicable support in TV Server. Therefore if you're using TV Server, your only hope for Unicable support is currently option 2.

2. Via a configuration tool supplied by the tuner vendor.
    This form of Unicable support has nothing to do with TV Server. It's entirely dependent on the tuner's driver and bundled software. Currently the only tuners I'm aware of that have such a tool are Digital Devices and DVBSky tuners.

Vuego is using a TBS tuner with TV Server. Therefore neither option 1 or option 2 apply for him. Therefore Unicable cannot work for him unless he buys a new tuner.

vuego

Documentation Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 5, 2006
    Göteborg
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    There is no DiSEqC involved that I know of.
    So perhaps there is a DiSEqC here somewhere. I didn't install the satellite dish and cables myself. It was done by the former house owner. There's three cables going from the dish inside the house by the ceiling. Will I be able to use Universal if I find and remove the DiSEqC?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    So perhaps there is a DiSEqC here somewhere.
    Unicable can be built into the LNB. In that case your options are:
    • check if any more standard/non-Unicable ("universal") switch or LNB outputs are available
    • buy a new tuner with driver support for Unicable
    • buy a new LNB
    • don't use TV Server
    I didn't install the satellite dish and cables myself. It was done by the former house owner.
    Hmmmm. I think it's important to know about the satellite dish, LNBs, cabling, switches etc. If you don't understand it then you won't know what is possible or not possible.

There's three cables going from the dish inside the house by the ceiling.
    Unfortunately this information doesn't really help. What is really needed is full information about the LNB(s) and any switch(es) that are connected.

Will I be able to use Universal if I find and remove the DiSEqC?
    Sorry, I can't answer this question without more information.
    (...and remember that "the DiSEqC" may be built into the LNB on the dish, in which case you can't remove it without replacing the LNB and probably adding more cables.)

vuego

Documentation Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 5, 2006
    Göteborg
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    I think it's important to know about the satellite dish, LNBs, cabling, switches etc. If you don't understand it then you won't know what is possible or not possible.
    You're right about this. I'm learning from you as we speak ;)

I will have a look at the LNB once the sun rises and try to find a DiSEqC somewhere if it's not built in as you say. I might even get another LNB if this one is Single Cable on some of the outputs. I don't think I'll buy another tuner and I certainly won't stop using TV-Server.

Thanks for your help. Appreciated!

vuego

Documentation Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 5, 2006
    Göteborg
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Hello mm135200, thanks to your suggestion I've changed the LNB to the old one that came with the house and now it works much better :) It has 4 x Universal outputs. I've just tried it with three cables and two channels per cable recording six programs at the same time and it's a success!
    Cool thanks ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom