Scanning for new tv-channels does not update. (1 Viewer)

mylle

Portal Pro
April 14, 2005
Denmark
Home Country
Denmark Denmark
Hi guys,

I dont think this has ever worked but i really think it should be fixed.

Im running the latest 1.4 pre release build and a few days ago my cable provider put some new channels in the line up. Problem is that a new scan does NOT pick up these new channels if it has the same frequency as another channel in the line up that being removed. It does not replace the old channel with the new on. I can tell by the log that i actually does find the channel but its nowhere to be found afterwords. Even when checking the enable movement detection.

TV 2 Fri is not being added

[2013-05-22 13:16:32,683] [Log ] [17 ] [INFO ] - 3) 0x1 0x1F 0x91 0x91 TV 2 Fri [$] type:1

Regards
Jacob

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello Jacob

First, I'd strongly recommend that you don't enable channel movement detection unless you understand what it means. When not used carefully it can cause channels to be updated in unexpected ways.

Problem is that a new scan does NOT pick up these new channels if it has the same frequency as another channel in the line up that being removed.
    The frequency is not relevant. What matters is the original network ID (ONID) and service ID (SID). If you don't enable channel movement detection then the transport stream ID (TSID) is also important.
    For DVB-C, DVB-S/S2 and DVB-T/T2 TV Server uses those fields as the unique identifier for channels. In other words, you shouldn't have two channels with the same ONID+SID combination. Channel movement works because channels should keep the same ONID and SID even when the frequency (and TSID) change.

So, my question to you would be: do you have any other channel with ONID 1 and SID 145 (and TSID 31)?

I expect you probably do... and since TV Server does not rename channels by design, it will appear like the channel is not there... but it is there with the wrong name.

So for example, if the removed channel had the same ONID and SID as the new channel, TV Server will think the new channel is the same and won't rename it. There is no 100% perfect way for us to know a channel is "new", and most of the time people prefer to have the ability to have customised channel names. This is one of the situations where that design decision has potential problems.

mm

Last edited:

mylle

Portal Pro
    April 14, 2005
    Denmark
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Hi MM

Thanks for your super fast answer!

Your answer makes perfect sense

I actually think we went over this before but i must have forgotten. sorry.

I guess there is not easy way to see in the tv-server GUI what ONID and SID and TSID a certain channel has without editing them one at a time :(

Im no DB wiz so i dont know where to look for the "old" channel i the database. Is there an easy way to identify the culprit channel?

Regards
    Jacob

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I actually think we went over this before but i must have forgotten. sorry.
    No need to apologise - it is easy to forget, and quite complex. :)

I guess there is not easy way to see in the tv-server GUI what ONID and SID and TSID a certain channel has without editing them one at a time :(
    There is a much easier way than that. :)
    Just export your channel list using the import/export section. You can open the XML file in any text editor (word, notepad etc.), then just search for:
    ServiceId="145"

There will be lots of these (all channels from your provider):
    NetworkId="1"

The channels with...
    TransportId="33"
    ...are probably the channels with the same frequency as the new channel.

mm

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom