Scanning for new/updated channels results in a mess (1 Viewer)

riksmith

Portal Pro
April 18, 2009
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
You have to forget what is in the mantis. That was just an initial thought and is not neccesarily how it is implemented. My previous post states how it is really implemented.

About the question where what is stored: The examples in the previous post are exactly how it is stored, i only left out some non important columns. Also the naming should be the terms i used earlier.

And to get it clear: This whole unique ID thing is only about tuningdetails, not channels. For channels we just use the normal database generated channel ID.

I don't know where you are seeing the channel id in the config: that is not there. The only ID i can see is the ID of the tuningdetail (Which again is not from the network, it is a generated DB ID). I think this is just so confusing because you are not using the correct terms. There is a big difference between: ID, ONID, SID, TSID. And also between channels and tuningdetails. Please try to use the correct terms, else it will become more and more confusing.

If you edit a TUNINGDETAIL there is a field called "Channel:". That is NOT the ID of the tuningdetail (else it would have been called ID), that is the LCN of the tuningdetail.
Of course that field is used: It is used when you press the numbers on your remote to tune to a channel (unless you have indicated in the config that you want to use the index in your list instead of the LCN).

The last part i have to think about, bit complicated to read so early on the morning. BTW: There should be no reason for you to delete channels before scanning.

doveman

Portal Pro
February 12, 2008
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I've taken some screenshots to show what I see in TVServer config.

This is the list of channels in a "Main" group I made, as you can see it shows Channel Number, which appears to be taken from the network. Is this the same as LCN you referred to?

This is the details I see if I edit a channel. Under TuningDetails Channel is the same as Channel Number from the previous screen. There is also ID 10, which if I understand you correctly is the TuningDetail ID which is generated by MP.

Then there is also a MP generated Channel ID, which is not shown in TVServer config and is not necessarily the same value as the TuningDetail ID. Is this correct?

doveman

Portal Pro
February 12, 2008
Home Country
Another problem I've just noticed is, in the EPG, ITV1+1 and ITV2+1 are now showing the same programmes!

From Wednesday onwards they're OK, so it looks like it's old EPG data grabbed before the recent scan I did when the channels changed, but I'm thinking either MP needs to flush the EPG data after a scan and re-grab it or there needs to be a way for the user to tell MP to do so.

doveman

Portal Pro
February 12, 2008
Home Country
Sorry, I overlooked that.

Still, don't you think it would be better if it did that automatically after a scan or would that cause problems for some users?

riksmith

Portal Pro
April 18, 2009
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
Sorry, I overlooked that.

Still, don't you think it would be better if it did that automatically after a scan or would that cause problems for some users?

I am not sure. The only time it would give problems is when the provider is doing strange things. So for 99% of the cases there would be not reason to delete the EPG (i think for you this will be the first time too).

doveman

Portal Pro
February 12, 2008
Home Country
What I meant was would it cause problems for any users if MP automatically refreshed the EPG after each scan.

If not, it seems it would make sense to do that, rather than make the user find and click on the Refresh EPG button.

It seems not uncommon for channels on Freeview to get replaced by others and when that happens it seems the EPG data will be wrong unless it is refreshed.

I think it's a different problem, but for the last couple of days, my EPG has been showing "Channel One is no longer broadcasting" for that channel. I looked it up on the web and it says that Channel One has been replace by Challenge, so I did a scan and it picked up Challenge, but didn't delete Channel One. Looking at the details it shows the following for Challenge:

Channel: 46
Frequency: 562000
NetworkId: 9018
TransportId: 12290
ServiceId: 15520
Bandwidth: 8Mhz
PmtPid: 395
Provider: BSkyB

whereas Channel One is:
Channel 20
Frequency: 562000
NetworkId: 9018
TransportId: 12290
ServiceId: 14304
Bandwidth: 8Mhz
PmtPid: 273
Provider: Virgin Media

As you can see, even though they say that Challenge replaces Channel One, they have different details, which means that MP doesn't realise it's a replacement and thinks it's a new channel and leaves Channel One in the list.

I just deleted Channel One manually and did another scan and it didn't pick it up again, so it doesn't appear to be broadcasting anymore, so surely MP should be able to detect this and delete it. If there's some reason why it can't do this, perhaps MP could delete the channel list before scanning (after making a temporary backup to compare with afterwards) which should avoid redundant channels being left in the list.

riksmith

Portal Pro
April 18, 2009
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
Perhaps there will be some further enhancements in version 1.3 for channel scanning. It is however a very complicated subject, so i can not really give a response to your questions and remarks now. We have to think through a lot of scenario's in order to make it work for "everyone". I think however that we will need some settings while scanning to fit everyones need.

doveman

Portal Pro
February 12, 2008
Home Country
What's the point in me (or any other user) making suggestions and trying to help improve MP, if you're just going to turn around and say it's too complicated so you can't discuss it :mad:

I did have some other ideas, but it hardly seems worth sharing them if no-one's willing to consider and discuss them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom