Schedule a recording takes 8 minutes (1 Viewer)

st1ven

Portal Member
April 14, 2012
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
HI All,

I'm using MP 1.2.3 and since last Saturday scheduling a tv program via the EPG takes approximately 8 minutes after pressing the record button. In the meantime Mediaportal is freezes. Usually this only takes secondes. Also channel change is taking more time than before. And from the last 5 days my HTPC is not resuming from standby for a scheduled recording . I'm using Powerscheduler++ plugin (1.2.3.4) for this.

I tried a resart of my HTPC, but that doesn't work.
I also ran the command to test and repair mysql DB; but no errors found:

CD C:\Program Files\MySQL\MySQL Server 5.1\bin
mysqlcheck mptvdb --auto-repair -e -u root -p

I hope someone can assist in solving this error otherwise I think I need to do a clean install. If you need some more information please ask.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello and welcome :)

...scheduling a tv program via the EPG takes approximately 8 minutes after pressing the record button.
    Your log files don't seem to help to identify this problem.

Also channel change is taking more time than before.
    What is the normal channel change time?
    How long do you estimate it is taking now?

mm

st1ven

Portal Member
    April 14, 2012
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Hello and welcome :)

Thanks

Your log files don't seem to help to identify this problem.
    How can I generate a log file that will show this problem? I'm not sure cause it looks like the log files shows all TV server actions , but it's hard for me to read this file. I scheduled on 22/09 and 23/09 some programs, so I think thats the best chance to find it there. But if you need me to do a specific action, please let me know.

Now it takes ~23 seconds, a week ago only a couple of seconds.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    How can I generate a log file that will show this problem? I'm not sure cause it looks like the log files shows all TV server actions , but it's hard for me to read this file. I scheduled on 22/09 and 23/09 some programs, so I think thats the best chance to find it there. But if you need me to do a specific action, please let me know.
    The problem is that the MP log file doesn't show when you tried to create the schedule. If the problem is on the client side or in the communication between client and server then we won't see it.

[Edit: The tv.log file doesn't go back as far as the 22nd or 23rd, so I can't see anything here - logs start from about 12 noon on the 26th.]

Now it takes ~23 seconds, a week ago only a couple of seconds.
    Okay, thanks. I'll take a look... although the same comments as above apply.

Last edited:

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello again

I'm not seeing any tuning taking 20 seconds.
    Some tunes seem to take around 10 seconds - even this seems a little extreme.

It seems like your server is generally a little slow. I'm not sure whether that is due to the CPU, HDD, or your network...

mm

st1ven

Portal Member
    April 14, 2012
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Thanks for you support so far. I just did some more test and created a new log file.
    @ 0.10 I scheduled an one time recording
    @ 0.15 I scheduled an advanced recording (all episodes)
    @ 0.23 I schedules an advanced recording (only on weekdays)
    All takes about 4 minutes each. (which is faster than last weekend, but still much slower than before)

@ 0.29 & 0.30 I changed channels. This takes 28 & 32 seconds (timed with stopwatch :cool:from pressing the channel number until I got a view)

@ 0.33 I scheduled a recording in debug mode. This also takes about 4 minutes but afterward it freezes.
    Log file created @ 0.44

2nd test:
    Yesterday I closed MP before put the PC in standby and today's recordings are all succeeded.

Details of my HTPC Server and client are both on this PC
    Tuner = HDHomerRun and recordings are stored on a Synology DS410 NAS.
    No changes made at my configuration since I installed MP.

At last I want so say that MP is still a great software, but this issue is annoying.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I think something is using your CPU heavily, or the HDD or NAS that you are using is having problems - something like that.
    Everything is consistently slower than it should be.
    This is not normal, but I don't think it is directly related to TV Server or MP.
    The only other thing that seems a little unusual is the number of log entries from the PowerScheduler. You could try to temporarily disable that plugin and see if it makes a difference for your tuning times.

Last edited:

st1ven

Portal Member
    April 14, 2012
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I think something is using your CPU heavily...
    This comment gave me the clue. I checked the windows taskmanager and saw that 4 programs together use 100% cpu while scheduling/channel change. Those are MySQL; MP, Tv Server and Microsoft Security Essentials.
    I disabled realtime scannin in MSE and everything is back to normal. Scheduling and channel changing takes only a few secondes and all schedules recordings are made.

But it's still strange that it leads to problems now, as I'm using MSE from the beginning on my HTPC?

Thanks for your support!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom