Schedule Recording - Best Practice (1 Viewer)

madas

Portal Pro
November 5, 2007
Hello All,

I'm still struggling to get my recording schedules configured correctly. I was getting random things being recorded before I realised that

"Record every day at this time"

doesn't actually check the title, it just records at that time period.

So what is best practice for something like say "The Colbert Report". Comedy central often plays old episodes 5 or 6 times a day. New episodes air a few times a week at 11.30pm.

How would I get MP to record all the instances at 11.30pm without recording on the days when the show is not on?

If I am forced to record all instances (even the old ones) by saying "Record all on this channel" then can I use the priority field in the DB next to the schedule to tell these recordings not to record if other things with higher priority are being recorded?

Thanks

M

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi,

I think there is a setting somewhere to only record 'new' episodes. I am not at my HTPC now, so I can't check where it is or how it is worded.

Of course this assumes that your EPG data provide fills the episode info field correctly.

Basically you have the option of recording every instance of a show on one/every channel, and you have the option of recording whatever is on a particular channel at a particular time.

What you require is the option to record every instance of a show at a particular time on a particular channel. Unfortunately this doesn't exist.

For me, I tend to use 'every time on this channel' schedules, and then either manually cancel specific episodes or allow them to record and then delete any duplicates. It might not be perfect, but better than missing something. DVB-T EPG in the UK does not provide episode info.

I hope this helps.

Mark

madas

Portal Pro
    November 5, 2007
    Hi Ray,

I have checked that Wiki page..that is where i found out that the option didn't do what I expected it to. Any comments on the priority field in the schedule...does that do anything?

I looked at FTR when i first started with MP.

Can I use that JUST to schedule recordings and do everything else through regular MP?

can they be modified through MP after the fact?

With FTR don't i have to re-create all of my channels and guide info?

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Can I use that JUST to schedule recordings and do everything else through regular MP?

Although FTR has it's own console for access\config, I very rarely use it, certainly not on a daily basis, all the skins I have used fully support FTR as a replacement for normal TV, it just has much better recording logic regarding series, do not get me wrong, MP itself is catching up regarding this, just not there yet.

It can be daunting setting up for the first time, but the installation pdf is good, you may have to restart services or reboot for changes to take affect, but as I said it is worth it long term.

gtfreymann

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 3, 2011
    Ontario, Canada
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Hello All,
    So what is best practice for something like say "The Colbert Report". Comedy central often plays old episodes 5 or 6 times a day. New episodes air a few times a week at 11.30pm.

I found setting up a recording schedule to be a bit of a problem at first too.

What has helped me is:

-the wiki (the link was provided earlier in this thread)
    -this link: SupportForTheTvDbCom - mp-schedulesdirect - SchedulesDirect Plugin for MediaPortal - Google Project Hosting Which works for me because I use Schedules Direct for my EPG content
    -selecting "Weekly on this Channel"
    -ticking the box here to skip previously recorded shows Recording - MediaPortal Wiki but you need to ensure your EPG contains the Series/Episode info, which the link above ensures for me
    -manually checking the Scheduled Recordings screen and deleting any dupes
    -upon forgetting the above I just delete the duplicate recordings if any slip by

Hope that helps!

netexplorer

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 21, 2009
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Schedule Recording - Best Practice

Hi,
    i recommend you to use TVWishlist.
    It have nearly the same scheduling functions like ForTheRecord, but are fully integrated in MP.

TBird1

Portal Member
    December 20, 2011
    Islandmagee, County Antrim
    Home Country
    Re: AW: Schedule Recording - Best Practice

Just read the details for TVWishList which interests me as I am looking for an easier way to record TV Series without duplicate episodes and was seriously considering 4TR - its not absolutely clear to me if TVWishList will easily do this - can you confirm ?

Thanks

netexplorer

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 21, 2009
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Schedule Recording - Best Practice

Yes,
    you can define time ranges, days and a lot more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom