Scheduled recording not starting at the correct time (1 Viewer)

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Ok, then he has not mapped the channels properly or recorded too much at the same time. There was another recording running until 10:32. As soon as this recording ends the new recording starts instantly...
    EPG grabbing always is interrupted as soon as the tuner is needed for something else. It has the lowest priority of all.

Edit: Here is the log sniplet:
    [2019-01-29 22:32:42,183] [110711139] [scheduler thread] [INFO ] - SlimTvService: RecordingEnded: D:\MPrecordings\Recorded TV\The Great Australian Bee Challenge - ABC - 2019-01-29.ts
    [2019-01-29 22:32:42,775] [110711731] [scheduler thread] [INFO ] - SlimTvService: RecordingStarted: D:\MPrecordings\Recorded TV\SBS ONE\Building The Tube\Building The Tube - 2019-01-29.ts
    Only half a second between the end of the first recording and the start of the second one...

TonyR63

Portal Pro
    December 1, 2015
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    No I have 3 tuners and all 3 tuners had their channels mapped via individual channel scans.
    There was no recording scheduling conflict that explains the delayed truncated recording.

The MP2 server is still POC and very lightly used so very little recording has been done. Our primary PVR is Mythtv v0.28 which is more heavily utilised. We have been testing MP2 as a windows option because the 3 Divico Fusion tuners cardes are no longer support by Mythtv. We have not been able to bet MP2 stable and reliable enough to cut over to this environment.

TonyR63

Portal Pro
    December 1, 2015
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Hi HTPCSourcer

Concerning the instruction:

"Section TV Servers: select every tuner one after the other and click on Edit. You'll see an option Allow this card to be used for EPG grabbing. Ticking this for just one tuner is sufficient."

This highlights from a new user perspective how confusing the UI of MP2 is.

As a user intuitively one would select the Server and from withing the hierarchy you see the Analog and digital TV cards listed so you would select a specific card and look to adjust or configure its properties from there.

Looking at you instruction when I did this I could find no edit option. All I could see is a single Tab called "Scanning"
    Where is Edit function??

If you select the TV server object it does list the Cards and Hybrid cards and from here you get access to the discussed options. Now this is fine for those who are already expert in the UI and MP2 but for new users this is a real configuration trap and point of confusion. Why are different options available depending on how you navigate?

The counter intuitive element will NEVER apparent to experts but nobs like me trying to get the solution working so please do not treat us with contempt. Bear in mind that MP2 is routed as a replacement to Window media centre which had a simple 8 step wizard to configure and you were up and running in 15 minutes and there was simple no way to accidentally configure EPG data in triplicate. If that is in fact my problem it arose because the MP2 UI allowed such a setting without warning. Excellent software is simple to use so PLEASE listen to those who are trying to make it work who are not expert as they are the people who ultimately determine whether the solution is worth the pain or not. Yes the software is free to download but it costs a lot in terms of peoples time to try to make i work and we pay back by telling you how it can be confusing in some places.

I would like to see MP2 to grow and develop further so we are on the same page.

I checked and can confirm at all 3 tuners has allow this card to be used for EPG data checked however I did not as far as I know turn this on deliberately. I would bet it is on by default so MP2 developers need to write code to warn that more than one tuner used for EPG data might be a problem and suggest turning it off as I have now done.

I am not convinced that this is the reason why the recording failed but I am happy to conduct further testing with these new settings. Thanks for pointing them out.

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    This highlights from a new user perspective how confusing the UI of MP2 is.
    The TV part is actually "borrowed" from MP1. From a MP2 perspective TV is just one additional plugin, however, its integration into the MP2 settings is too much effort in light of our very limited resources.

As a user intuitively one would select the Server and from withing the hierarchy you see the Analog and digital TV cards listed so you would select a specific card and look to adjust or configure its properties from there.
    That's exacly what I asked you to do.

Where is Edit function??
    In the above-mentioned section. See also Wiki.
    So once again. In the left side open TV Servers. Directly underneath you'll see another line, which holds either your server name or its IP address. Click on it. In the right part of the screen are now displayed all your tuners and cards. This is the screen where you can enable or disable individual cards. One left-click on any of these entries will highlight it. Once highlighted, the Edit button on the bottom of the screen is active and can be selected.

I would bet it is on by default so MP2 developers need to write code to warn that more than one tuner used for EPG data might be a problem and suggest turning it off as I have now done.
    Having all tuners grab EPG is not a problem, hence no warning needed. And as I just wrote, this is rather a MP1 topic.

I am not convinced that this is the reason why the recording failed but I am happy to conduct further testing with these new settings.
    I don't think it's the cause and I never said so., All I was saying is that your logs are flooded with more or less meaningless EPG entries, which make the whole log difficult to read.

Yes the software is free to download but it costs a lot in terms of peoples time to try to make i work and we pay back by telling
    With all due respect: Are you serious? I am spending my free time here to help you. Yet it appears that I might better do something else that gives me a better pay back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom