Screensaver Problems (1 Viewer)

MikeFellows

Portal Member
August 28, 2007
Home Country
England England
I'm new to this so please bear with me

I have my HTPC connected to my Plasma TV, now im sure your all aware that Plasma TV's get screen burn, so I would like to use a screensaver

if i use the windows screensaver it kicks in but then flashes like crazy between media portal and the screensaver (this will atleast stop screen burn, but isnt going to be much good if someone with epilepsy comes to my house)

is there a media portal specific screen saver, or do i just use the windows screensaver and attempt to fix this problem

Cheers

Mike

TV-Server Version: Not Installed
MediaPortal Version: 0.2.3.0 RC1
MediaPortal Skin:
Windows Version: XP SP2
CPU Type: Athlon x2 4200
HDD:
Memory:
Motherboard:
Motherboard Chipset:
Motherboard Bios:
Video Card:
Video Card Driver:
Sound Card:
Sound Card AC3:
Sound Card Driver:
1. TV Card:
1. TV Card Type:
1. TV Card Driver:
2. TV Card:
2. TV Card Type:
2. TV Card Driver:
3. TV Card:
3. TV Card Type:
3. TV Card Driver:
4. TV Card:
4. TV Card Type:
4. TV Card Driver:
MPEG2 Video Codec:
MPEG2 Audio Codec:
Satelite/CableTV Provider:
HTPC Case:
Cooling:
Power Supply:
Remote:
TV:
TV - HTPC Connection:

Marcusb

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 16, 2005
    Melbourne
    in the general section of the config app there is an option to blank the screen whn idle.
    Otherwise, you can disable the "always on top" in the same section. Sounds like this is what is causing the flashes you are getting. They are both fighting to be on top.

patricon

Portal Pro
    June 16, 2007
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    This is a bug in MP that does not free video resources when screensaver is launched, to verify this issue, you can do the following: add your favourite screensaver to the My programs plugin, and launch it (you can make a shourtcut to the .scr file) as a normal app. You'll see that this way the screensaver works fine... but when the screensaver is fired by windows, it doesn't work... This has been discussed here:

https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...ver-t26323.html?t=26323&highlight=screensaver

... but it seems thet it doesn't bother to mp devs.

For devs, it could be two possible solutions:

1) Fix the bug when launching external app outside mp (may be releasing the resources when mp loses focus)

2) Handle the screensaver from MP. This could be easy just adding a new combo box in configurator to select the .scr file to be launched after N seconds or minutes. That way, mp could disable the windows screensaver at startup and manage its own...

regards,

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom