Search Functionality (1 Viewer)

Should search be context sensitive?

• Yes, if you are in a category search should be limited to the movies [b]in[/b] that category.

Votes: 6 42.9%
  • No, search should return results from my entire collection, regardless of what category I was browsi

Votes: 6 42.9%
  • I have a better idea, read my answer below.

Votes: 2 14.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

fforde

Community Plugin Dev
June 7, 2007
Texas
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Looking for a bit of input on how search functionality should work with the categories system. Basically I am debating on whether the search should always search your entire collection or if it should be context sensitive. If I enter the plugin, click on Genres, click on Action, then click search, should the results be restricted to the Action category? Or should it search your entire collection (minus parental control restricted movies)?

Attachments

• search1.jpg
    search1.jpg
    144.5 KB
  • search2.jpg
    search2.jpg
    220.6 KB
  • search3.jpg
    search3.jpg
    211.6 KB

Inker

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 6, 2004
    I initially thought context sensitive, but then I figured it is probably more annoying when it doesn't work, then it gains you when it works. Realistically, what is the average movie collection size? And for any realistic search, would you get so many results out of the category you are in that it makes the search seem to "not work", as opposed to when you do actually just want to search for a movie, figure out that you first have to get out of "Action", then out of Genre, then into "All movies".

Therefor, I think search should be searching your entire collection.

pgjensen

Portal Pro
    May 1, 2008
    how about putting the current category in the top results and then still search the entire catalog and put those results below that?

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    Search in current position (be it genre/category/etc): "example"
    Search entire collection: "?example"

floeti

Portal Member
    February 25, 2009
    Maybe context sensitive search as default.. And last facade item "Search more (entire collection)..."

and another +1

I like the idea of pgjensen too, but maybe would have negative impact on performance with large collection. So proposal of SilentException is the best, in my opinion.

Masking the "search entire collection"-feature with some weird and hard to remember character (like RoChess proposed) will definitely lower the WAF... ;)

fforde

Community Plugin Dev
    June 7, 2007
    Texas
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Thanks for all the great feedback guys. I think I agree, a context sensitive search that is easily expandable to the entire collection makes the most sense.

The additional item in the facade where you can click "Search Entire Collection..." or something like that might be problematic though because the search output could theoretically be viewed in thumbnail, filmstrip or coverflow views in addition to a list view. I guess we could always just let the skin designer come up with some cover shaped artwork for this though. Maybe a big stylized magnifying glass.

I like pgjensen's idea as well, to just prioritize results in the current context first. We could even partition this with our section headers. Again though, this might cause problems in thumbnail, filmstrip, etc views where it would be more difficult to clearly delineate the different categories of results.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom