Secondary screen on ATI - works! (1 Viewer)

Webcomber

Portal Member
January 5, 2006
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
Area: Media Portal Program
MediaPortal Version: 0.2.0.0 RC2 (2005-12-16)
MediaPortal Skin: BlueTwo Metal Dark
Windows Version: Windows XP (SP2)
.NET CLR Version: 2.0.50727
DirectX Version: 4.09.00.0904 (9.0c)
Audio Codec: MPEG/AC3/DTS/LPCM Audio Decoder
Video Codec: Mpeg2Dec Filter
CPU Type: Intel Pentium 4 - 2.66GHz
Memory: 511 MB
Motherboard: 085Ch (Hewlett-Packard)
TV Card Model: Hauppauge PVR150MCE
TV Card Type: -
TV Card Driver: -
Video Card Model: Sapphire Radeon 9600 Atlantis (256 MB)
Video Card Driver: ATI Catalist download # 29124
Video Card Resolution: 800×600
Video Render Type: VMR9
Audio Card Model: CMI8738/C3DX PCI Audio Device
Audio Card Driver: .. + AC3Filter v0.70b
Synopsis::

My solution to make MP work on SECONDARY SCREEN and keep working with other apps on primary screen. 8)

This was really a pain, and saw in the posts that I'm clearly not the only one... Here is my fix.

:idea:

I use 0.2RC2 on ATI Radeon 9600. Secondary screen 800x600 in Extended Desktop mode, connected Composite out over 22 meters simple stereo coax cable to Receiver. Excellent picture, really!

Image on widescreen Philips (CRT) TV. TV uses auto strech to fit all input to its 16:9 screen, this actually zooms in a bit and does some non-linear streching of the left and right sides of the image.
I use this to my advantage, see down.

I start MP from an icon on sec.screen, yes now my cpu goes to 100%. I then select Menu File Change Device... and select my SECONDARY dsplay adapter, Render Device is HARDWARE.
I KEEP it Windowed! Fullscreen generally crashes MP as soon as I click somewhere on a window on primary screen... :evil:
CPU goes down to a neat 5%.

Next I double click the MP window titlebar to Maximize it.
My Philips TV zooms in a bit and with the TV remote I scroll the whole picture so far up that I no longer see the title and menu bars: effectively giving me full screen.

This setup does -almost- everyting I want it to do.
Now I can present MP to the family, while I keep working on the primary screen.
This is what a home server should (be able to) do!

The issues that I do have I will put in separate posts to keep things clear.

One more note: I have been using MP now for just two weeks and am very content as it is the first software that does not mess up the S/PDIF audio path of my obviously-not-most-used audio card.
Have been fighting MCE2005 and Meedio almost to the point of buying a new soundcard...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom