seek video over lan very slow for big and highbitrates videos (1 Viewer)

mrmojo666

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 24, 2006
    Turin
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    Hi all,

i would like to know why when I timeskip high bitrate files over lan it tooks ages even on gigabit lan. looking at task manager i see lan trafic going to 200Mbs (when i copy a file i see more than 600Mbs) and seems that mp is parsing all the video instead of jump directly for example to +1 hour.

Thank you

Last edited:

ajs

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 29, 2008
    Kyiv
    Home Country
    Ukraine Ukraine
    I have 27G BDRip and timeskip - Almost instantaneous, the launch has a delay, but this is quite possible due to the fact that the hard drive sleeps in NAS.
    PS: LAN - Gigabit ...

mrmojo666

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 24, 2006
    Turin
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    yes i can confirm for bd rips it's almost instant, minutes to skip at +1h with UHD 70 Gib rip, seems that is degrading with video bandwith increasing. the question is exactly that, why seems it needs to parse all the file to reach the requested time? as far i saw on friend's mac and vlc it is not happening. i mean it is instant for any kind of bandwith file.

May i ask you a couple questions. is your nas linux based and have you a smb share ? do you have ever tried with a windows share ?

ajs

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 29, 2008
    Kyiv
    Home Country
    Ukraine Ukraine
    the question is exactly that, why seems it needs to parse all the file to reach the requested time?
    I do not know, maybe this is how the codec works.
    May i ask you a couple questions. is your nas linux based and have you a smb share ? do you have ever tried with a windows share ?
    My NAS on Windows Home Server with Windows share :)

mrmojo666

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 24, 2006
    Turin
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    so it could depends on the codec ? need to talk with nevcairiel ?

thanks

Sebastiii

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • November 12, 2007
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    Thanks :) not sure what happen (i have maybe an idea) because the seek was changed to be started in a thread but can you update against latest nightly LAV build ?
    It seems that latest commit fix something about seeking so maybe worth a try :p

mrmojo666

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 24, 2006
    Turin
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    Hi @Sebastiii

Tried with last lav nightly, nothig has changed. More i've tried with vlc , it's the same. So the problem happens with vlc-mpchc-mediaportal on windows machine and file on win share. Vlc mac and file on nas linux based share, timeskip is istantly going on +1h.

Thank you for any other idea

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom