Separation between servers and favorites [poll] (1 Viewer)

What do you think about the automatic favorites?

• Sounds good, do it!

Votes: 3 100.0%
  • Nah, leave that as it is

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have a better idea ... (comment)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Shukuyen

Community Plugin Dev
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 8, 2008
    Lake of Constance
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I was thinking a lot about how to best integrate mp-extended (successor of GMA, TV4Home, ...) into CouchPotato. My main problem with this is that you can have multiple MediaPortals with multiple mp-extended MediaAccessServices and multiple TV-Servers distributed all over your network. In CouchPotato I want to show your media library and enable you to start playing selected movies/episodes/tracks on your MediaPortal without doing a complicated setup.

While thinking about that it occured to me that the current separation between "detected servers" and "favorites" will not make much sense in most cases. Once a MediaPortal was detected you probably want to always have that in your list, as it is not very likely that you pick up MediaPortals in other networks at random.

So here is what I want to try:
    1. Once a "server" is detected it will appear in the list and stay there (like when you add a favorite now)
    2. If the server isn't detected anymore it will be displayed as "offline"
    3. When you manually remove a server it will be blocked from appearing again until you unblock it from the settings
    4. If a server also is running a service of mp-extended this will be indicated and you can choose to directly go the the media library or remote control view (maybe be long tapping the server or something similar).

So, what do you think?

mbuzina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 11, 2005
    Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi,

I have just faved my 2 machines and done with it ;-)

Just one possible improvement idea: Only keep the machine in the "top" list if you connected to it at least once. So you could still have a fav list and an online list, the fav list is built as soon as you connect to the htpc.

Having media library & remote idea: Please do not use long-taps, just have to entries beneath or next to each other, is quicker & better for muscle memory. Also it would be good to have a quick switching capability between control & library view. (Maybe schedule view should be a third view, as you can have Remote, Media Lib & TV Scheduling service on different machines).

Shukuyen

Community Plugin Dev
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 8, 2008
    Lake of Constance
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi,

I have just faved my 2 machines and done with it ;-)

Just one possible improvement idea: Only keep the machine in the "top" list if you connected to it at least once. So you could still have a fav list and an online list, the fav list is built as soon as you connect to the htpc.

Having media library & remote idea: Please do not use long-taps, just have to entries beneath or next to each other, is quicker & better for muscle memory. Also it would be good to have a quick switching capability between control & library view. (Maybe schedule view should be a third view, as you can have Remote, Media Lib & TV Scheduling service on different machines).

Good ideas, thanks! the second part got me thinking about shifting even more things around ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom