Series: Naming of (multi-)episode files (1 Viewer)

Hawkeye

Portal Pro
January 29, 2005
Halle (Saale)
Home Country
Germany Germany
Hi there!

Is there a guide on how to name (multi-)episode files? At the moment I use this scheme:
<seriesTitle>\S<seasonNumber>\<episodeNumber1>(+<episodeNumber2>) - <episodeTitle1>(+<episodeTitle2>).ext
This one worked with the TV Series plugin in MP1 but in MP2 episodes that share one file are not shown ... I would have used nfo files for each episode but tMM (also) lacks support of multi-episode files.

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    I'm using S01E01E02 - title1.ext... that is working perfect ever since there is support for multiple episodes files in MP2. Episodes title are not read from file name, only from online or (preferred) from .nfo, so it did not matter if you add all or one or no episodes title to the file name...

Not working is to separate the episodes numbers with e.g. episodes title... S01E01 - Title1 - E02- Title2.ext does not work as then there is no way to identify the second Exx as the second episodes number because "E02" also could be part of the episodes title...

Maybe you like to try MKV-Buddy then... It supports multi episodes files for a long time already... And also the name may suggest different, the metadata grabbing and .nfo file creation is working for every video container...

Hawkeye

Portal Pro
    January 29, 2005
    Halle (Saale)
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Do I read this correct that I have to add the season number to the file name even if I do have separate folders per season? Redundant, isn't it? Would be nice to have control over the regular expressions respectively have the possibility to add own ones.

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    that I have to add the season number to the file name even if I do have separate folders per season?
    Yes, as long as you don't have any other option (like .nfo file or MKV- tags) to identify the episode.
    Redundant, isn't it?
    Not really. If we would scan the folder structure for season subfolders this will slow down the import process a lot. Too many possible variants to make this a fast task. Only think of the countless languages possible... Maybe it is redundant for you, but definitely not for the program.

As 99,9999% of all users would either have .nfo, tagged to their matroska files or the season number in the file name it is not worth the afford.

Brownard

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 21, 2007
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Would be nice to have control over the regular expressions respectively have the possibility to add own ones.
    Open and edit the Series patterns section in ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MP2-Server\Config\SeriesMetadataExtractorSettings.xml ;)

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    In client this also has to be edited, at least if you ever want to use client media sources. For this your first post wasn't wrong imho... My post was meant as an addition, not a correction...

jsimmons

Portal Pro
    December 6, 2008
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I can't get my TV series to import at all. The config file you guys are talking about does not exist on my server.

I assume that my series' aren't importing because my naming convention is not what MP2 expects. I have my MP1 expressions exported to a file so I can add them to MP2, but I don't see how to do it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom