[solved] Server 2012 Essentials: Codec support for VMR9 (1 Viewer)

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hello,

I have set up a Windows Server 2012 Essentials machine to replace my old WHS v1 system. One of the next steps will be to install MediaPortal TV Server. Since the 2012E system will obviously also be the movie/recording repository, I have successfully installed VideoReDo on the system. Unfortunately no video can be seen in the little control window when I attempt to work on a file. Instead there is a black screen with the message "VMR9 cannot be displayed", while sound is playing OK.

I've looked for instructions how to specifically install Windows Mediaplayer, which should bring the respective codecs, but could not find anything. According to descriptions on the web there should be a specific feature entry "User interface and infrastructure" in the Server Managers but it's not part of my setup,

I don't need full codec functionality - all I want is to be able to see the little VMR9 picture in VideReDo. Anybody out there who would know how to achieve this?

Regards,
    HTPC_Sourcer

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    ::1
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Did you enable the feature 'Desktop Experience'?
    Add Feature ... User Interface and Infrastructure ... Desktop Experience

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Did you enable the feature 'Desktop Experience'?
    Yes, I did
    Features.JPG

And Mediaplayer is indeed installed. Sorry for talking non-sense but I was not in front of the patient when I was writing my initial post.. I also need to update the error message that VideoRedo is showing. The text is

VMR9 is unable to display video

The file in question is a H.264 recording. Could it be that WSE 2012 is missing an appropriate codec, e.g. like MS-DTV on Win 7?

Thanks,
    HTPC_Sourcer

P.S.: @Vasilich, thank you for your interest to help.

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    OK, I think I solved the issue: the VideoReDo settings allow the choice of VideoRenderer. Default is VMR9, which doesn't work. DIrectX leads to the Software closing immediately when opening a Video file, but VMR7 works! :)

Thanks for your support, folks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom