Server OS? (1 Viewer)

joz

Portal Pro
March 17, 2008
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
Hi all,

I have been thinking a while to migrate my current XP (32 bit) setup to a windows server (I think 2003 then, maybe 2008) 64 bit one. There are multiple reasons but the main one is that the machine is multipurpose it acts as webserver, tvserver and client. I would like to be able to setup domains etc to make my network a little safer (no exp. with that yet though). I also like to have access to the whole 4GB of memory.
However I have seen MP problems zapping by on MS server OS's in these forums. Besides that I know of other issues that will come along such as my virusscanner will not install itself because it decides I need some other version for it. There will be other minor things as well.

So what do you guys think about this switch? Which server version do you prefer (I have an MSDN subscription so I can get both)? Any tips getting "non server" software to install on such OS's? Not much exp. yet with win servers but will games install at all?

:D!

piranha

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 17, 2005
    I think you have misconception what a server is. It's not a workstation, hence no purpose of installing MP Client or games on it. Server software is designated in a different way expecting designated machine which is running only this, and no user interfering with processes.
    Generally speaking server OS is missing a lot of "user part" of the interface, hence it is not recommended to run MP on it.
    Domain handling, filesharing, webserver, tv server - if you have spare machine dedicated to it - go for it, otherwise utilize "regular" os.

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    I think you have misconception what a server is. It's not a workstation, hence no purpose of installing MP Client or games on it. Server software is designated in a different way expecting designated machine which is running only this, and no user interfering with processes.

Indeed it is not recommended (by MS) to run any media applications on a server OS as the OS itself has had lot performance fine tuning in a wrong direction (optimization is done to favor the server use cases). Process scheduling etc. have been tuned in a non-suitable direction for media playback.

gxtracker

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 25, 2005
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Something you may want to look at instead - and this is how I have my home servers setup - is to run any dedicated servers you want as a Virtual Machine using something like VMWare or Virtualbox. Since your HTPC has plenty of RAM installed, you could look at installing a vista/XP 64 installation with virtualization on top of that running server 2003 in a contained environment. Then setup any server services you want (Active Directory, DNS, DHCP, etc...) and have those services running completely contained.

I do this with my home servers - one physical box running a windows 2003 domain and a linux based PBX for my home telephony system.

I would avoid using a server operating system as your primary HTPC setup for the reasons that have already been mentioned.

thekiwi

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 26, 2007
    Gisborne
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Thanks gxtracker

This is pretty much what Im planning on doing.

WinXP (or Windows 7 in the future ... but my XP box with TVServer is running sweetly) as the host with VMWare Server installed as an "app".

From there, Im guessing I have no problems with needing special hacking in XP.

Then within VMWare I can virtualise my other home server requirements (eg IIS, Exchange, AD etc) and remove my other machines which are also running 24x7

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom