Server power fail, now MP1.3 won't install (1 Viewer)

ArnoldGoat

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 27, 2007
    Lyttelton
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I had MP1.2.3 server running, and began updating to 1.3. Then the power failed! It doesn't seem to have damaged V1.2.3 which started OK when the machine started up, but it must have left something behind that stops the deploy tool running.

I get to the prompt 'start with the installation now', but when I click OK, I get an alert headed "MediaPortal Installation Tool" with the message "Unhandled exception ... object reference not set to an instance of an object", then the stuff at the end of this post.

I would like to try to avoid doing a fresh install for the usual reasons. Is there anything I can do to give the installer what it wants?

Thanks.
    Ken

================================
    See the end of this message for details on invoking
    just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
    System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
    at MediaPortal.DeployTool.Sections.UpgradeDlg.UpdateUI()
    at MediaPortal.DeployTool.Sections.UpgradeDlg..ctor()
    at MediaPortal.DeployTool.DialogFlowHandler.GetDialogInstance(DialogType dlgType)
    at MediaPortal.DeployTool.Sections.DownloadOnlyDlg.GetNextDialog()
    at MediaPortal.DeployTool.DeployTool.nextButton_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
    mscorlib
    Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.5466 (Win7SP1GDR.050727-5400)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
    ----------------------------------------
    MediaPortal.DeployTool
    Assembly Version: 1.2.0.37130
    Win32 Version: 1.2.0.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/ADMINI~1.MAY/AppData/Local/Temp/MediaPortal%20Installation/MediaPortal.DeployTool.exe
    System.Windows.Forms
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.5468 (Win7SP1GDR.050727-5400)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
    System
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.5467 (Win7SP1GDR.050727-5400)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
    System.Drawing
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.5467 (Win7SP1GDR.050727-5400)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
    System.Xml
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.5420 (Win7SP1.050727-5400)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
    System.Configuration
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.5420 (Win7SP1.050727-5400)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
    To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
    application or computer (machine.config) must have the
    jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
    The application must also be compiled with debugging
    enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
    <system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
    </configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
    will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
    rather than be handled by this dialog box.

JimCatMP

Documentation Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 1, 2010
    Leeds
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Understand the desire not to do a full, fresh install but from recent experience, power fails can cause so really odd problems and if it's broken during install, fixing it may by far more of a problem than it's worth and full clean up and reinstall may be your safe bet.

However, no reason you should loose all, there are a number of backup options to consider, in terms of getting service back running, these can save you many hours - plugins sadly, unless you download them as files and then install as local via MePo Extention Installer (I do, makes building replica easy), those you have to reload.

See https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...of-the-important-settings.117449/#post-975862 which may help.

Cheers - JCMP

ArnoldGoat

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 27, 2007
    Lyttelton
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Thanks for the advice JCMP.

I only have 2 or 3 server plug-ins, so I am thinking that the Export/Import thing in the config utility will do. (It's a server-only machine.) It seems to save the schedule, which is the trickiest thing to reproduce. MP doesn't seem to have a registry entry, so I am assuming it looks for the folder name to see if there is an existing installation? I've dumped the tables from MySQL in case it comes to rescuing data from them.

JimCatMP

Documentation Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 1, 2010
    Leeds
    Home Country
    I think your correct, it's checks to see if files exist rather than rely on registry (wish more software did that), so a full clean out will purge all files from system and really is clean - this includes the directories - so make sure you do NOT store the backups or export in MePo directories - done that, dutifully made backup copies only to find MePo is 100% in earnest when it cleans itself.

Dumping tables so you can re-import is a sound move, the import should ensure your DB is error free just in case it also got a little bit of a byte bashing due to power loss at critical moment.

Good luck with re-install, power company permitting, hopefully it'll be quick and clean this time around.

Cheers - JCMP

ArnoldGoat

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 27, 2007
    Lyttelton
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Well, I moved the Team MediaPortal folders from Program Files (x86) and Program Data to a different disk, but the Deploy Tool still doesn't want to play - same error. Is there anywhere else I should look? I've searched for "*mediaportal" on the C-Drive, but nothing's there. The power loss was unfortunate, and my own doing. I have a UPS to guard against this sort of thing, but the plug in the back of the PC wasn't pushed in firmly enough!

ArnoldGoat

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 27, 2007
    Lyttelton
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I trawled around in the deploy tool code and found that in fact it does look in the registry for the uninstall key, which had been deleted. The solution was to persuade V1.2.3 to reinstall, and proceed with the upgrade to 1.3 which (so far) looks good. Thanks for your suggestions.

JimCatMP

Documentation Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 1, 2010
    Leeds
    Home Country
    Your welcome and we all hope your upgrade is clean & smooth.

Cheers - JCMP

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom