Server specification (1 Viewer)

alexeix

Portal Pro
January 28, 2005
UK
Hi,

I'm planning (hoping) to re-use my Shuttle SN95G5v2 SFF PC as a Media Portal server, however, I'd like some advice about whether or not the hardware is up to the job.

My front end will be an Acer Aspire Revo R3610, so no problems there as it's a dual core Atom/Ion combination.

My server will be my Shuttle, with an Athlon64 3200+ CPU and 1GB of DDR RAM.
I only have one PCI slot for expansion, so I'd like to install a dual DVB-S tuner card..

The Shuttle PC would not be used for watching HD TV (i.e. it won't be connected to a TV), but purely as a TV server.

The machine only seems to use around 70w on average, so I can't see the point of buying new low energy hardware, as I doubt I'll achieve drastically lower power consumption.
One other thing; could I remove the graphics card and would I then still be able to remote desktop to it?

Will the Shuttle set-up be good enough for recording HD TV and for feeding it to my client?
Thanks.

SiLenTYL

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 23, 2004
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    As far as removing the gfx card...if theres an integrated GPU inside it should be all good

Most mobos dont boot up if there no monitors attached..just something to check before its purely standalone

The specs sound fine as a server..only the player PC needs a decent graphics card

alexeix

Portal Pro
    January 28, 2005
    UK
    The motherboard doesn't have integrated graphics, so that's a no-go.
    Looks like I'll have to keep the passive graphics card then.

Now I just need to find a slim dual tuner DVB-S/S2 PCI card (the Shuttle is 5 years old!). I doubt I'll have any luck with DVB-S2...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom