April 19, 2009
Home Country
Canada Canada

jasonmorriso

Portal Pro
April 19, 2009
Home Country
Canada Canada
It looks like the solution is to sweep the problem under the rug and tell people to use someone elses product to make it work.

jasonmorriso, please be so kind to explain what you mean ?

Simone

Well, according to the bugtracker, the solution to the problem is to check if the OS is newer than XP, and if it is, disable the plugin and give a link to IR server suite.

In my opinion, that's not fixing a problem, it's ignoring it.

I don't mean this as an insult. I love Media Portal and appreciate the work that people have done developing it all with donated time. But Windows 7 is out. XP is 2 OS versions back now and a huge portion of the MP development is in the TV side of things, to no longer support IR blasting natively on the most recent OS seems like a loss of functionality to me.

chemelli

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 28, 2006
    Milano, Italy
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    It looks like the solution is to sweep the problem under the rug and tell people to use someone elses product to make it work.

jasonmorriso, please be so kind to explain what you mean ?

Simone

Well, according to the bugtracker, the solution to the problem is to check if the OS is newer than XP, and if it is, disable the plugin and give a link to IR server suite.

In my opinion, that's not fixing a problem, it's ignoring it.

You should investigate further an issue before blaming us. Microsoft changed the way application can access his code and thus is not possible to make MediaPortal works with new API without a too big rework.

IRSS instead is using a differrent approach and can make ServerBlaster work with Vista and Windows7.

Simone

jasonmorriso

Portal Pro
    April 19, 2009
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    You should investigate further an issue before blaming us. Microsoft changed the way application can access his code and thus is not possible to make MediaPortal works with new API without a too big rework.

IRSS instead is using a differrent approach and can make ServerBlaster work with Vista and Windows7.

Simone

I apologize if the wording of my comments implied I thought it was the Media Portal teams fault. I did investigate and realized the problem was caused by Microsofts changes.

I simply thought that a function that existed previously would be maintained. I realise this is an opensource project and resources can only be applied where there is an interest. I'm just surprised that in the almost 3 years since Vistas release, noone has wanted to work on getting the MCE blaster function workinng on the latest OS.

chemelli

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 28, 2006
    Milano, Italy
    Home Country
    Italy Italy

Simone

I apologize if the wording of my comments implied I thought it was the Media Portal teams fault. I did investigate and realized the problem was caused by Microsofts changes.

I simply thought that a function that existed previously would be maintained. I realise this is an opensource project and resources can only be applied where there is an interest. I'm just surprised that in the almost 3 years since Vistas release, noone has wanted to work on getting the MCE blaster function workinng on the latest OS.

We don't want to rework completly MP1 to get this and others features to work with new operating systems, we'll have MPII for this ;)

Expecially because we have a working solution: IRSS.

Simone

jasonmorriso

Portal Pro
    April 19, 2009
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    We don't want to rework completly MP1 to get this and others features to work with new operating systems, we'll have MPII for this ;)

Expecially because we have a working solution: IRSS.

Simone

Fair enough.

Thank you very much for your responses. I truly appreciate the work you and the other developers have done.

With Windows 7, I set up their Media Center, and while the TV function works and is easy to configure, the picture quality is terrible compared to Media Portal, and every other aspect of Media Center is a pale shadow compared to Media Portal, when using custom skins and plugins like Moving Picture, TV-Series, Online Videos, etc...

trevor

Portal Pro
    October 17, 2006
    Chelmsford
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    is there any sort of plugin that allows you to use a command line interface to blast the tv channels?

Yes, but is a little old - TV3ExtChannelChanger by and-81 is what you need, does a bit more than just command line. Only problem is the version found on the site does not work with 1.0.2 or greater but I have a version I have amended and re-compiled. I only did this last night and working on my system.

I attach the program and the files, this is for MP 1.1beta with the SVN from 24th Dec - may work on earlier releases...

NOTE: These are my files so the configs for Card 4 & 5 are from my setup and will need changing for you.

Copy the TV3ExtChannelChanger.dll to your TV Server plugins dir.

Copy the contents of 'MediaPortal TV Server' to c:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal TV Server

To run a command line app when changing channels, select your card, tick the 'Use pre-change command', scroll down the list of commands till you get to PreChange, make sure 'Run Program' is selected below and hit set.

Enter the details of the command you want to run and the paramters (note %2 is the channel parm) and I would alos make sure 'No Window' is ticked.

Will get round to do a rerelease of this at some point...

Cheers

Attachments

• TV3ExtChannelChanger.zip
      30.7 KB

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom