Setting up TV Server for Verizon FiOS CableCard in Ceton InfiniTV6 ETH (1 Viewer)

newyorkwedge

August 8, 2015
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I'm a little stuck here. I previously used Windows 8.1 Media Center for my PVR. I upgraded to Windows 10 and want to use MediaPortal 2 to replace Media Center. I'm having trouble configuring the TV Server.

I am using a Verizon FiOS CableCard in a Ceton InfiniTV6 ETH Tuner. It presents 6 different tuners to MediaPortal's TV Server Configuration and previously Media Center.

What card properties should I use? The TV Server CAM model shows options for default and Astoncrypt 2, but the encryption is C CSA in the Tuner's webpage. Do I set the channels number? Do I use EPG? What about preloading, pause, and stop? Is the network provider generic or ATSC?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello and welcome! :)

In short:

What card properties should I use?
    None unless you need them.
    As the wiki says, the only thing you really need to care about in there is the CAM and decrypt limit setting:
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_...2_TV_Servers/7b_Scan_ATSC#Tuner_Configuration

The TV Server CAM model shows options for default and Astoncrypt 2, but the encryption is C CSA in the Tuner's webpage.
    Leave it at default.

Do I set the channels number?
    Not sure what exactly you mean. However, a standard scan with the correct settings should get the correct channel numbers for you. So, I think that's a no.

Do I use EPG?
    If you're talking about the built in DVB EPG grabber then no. It won't help you.

What about preloading, pause, and stop?
    Doesn't matter. Leave at defaults. You don't need to mess with those settings.

Is the network provider generic or ATSC?
    Irrelevant for CableCARD tuners.

Quite frankly it seems like you're getting bogged down in the detail... and you shouldn't. All of the stuff you actually need to care about is covered in this walkthrough and/or explained in the wiki:
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/cablecard-tuner-support-for-mediaportal-1.112585/

Please use those resources.
    If you get stuck then don't hesitate to ask for help. :)

Regards,
    mm

newyorkwedge

August 8, 2015
    Home Country
    I already tried the wiki's steps and recently retried. It came out with the following message during the Digital Cable channel scan:

out-of-band service information... signal locked, no channels found
    Total radio channels, new = 0, updated = 0
    Total TV channels, new = 0 updated = 0
    Scan done!

I had CAM enabled with decrypt limit set to 0 and 1 on separate tries. CAM model is default. EPG and preloading is disabled. Idle state is set to stop card. Network is generic.

Ceton diagnostics shows all check marks, except an error for Windows Media Center Receiver Service is disabled. Likely, the error is there because Media Center is no longer installed.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Likely, the error is there because Media Center is no longer installed.
    No, the error is not there. MediaPortal does not need Media Center, and nor does your tuner.

I already tried the wiki's steps and recently retried. It came out with the following message during the Digital Cable channel scan:

out-of-band service information... signal locked, no channels found
    Total radio channels, new = 0, updated = 0
    Total TV channels, new = 0 updated = 0
    Scan done!
    Okay. This is what the walkthrough that I linked above says about that:
    You should see a message: out-of-band service information. For the few minutes it will appear like nothing is happening... but this is absolutely normal. TV Server is gathering channel information from the CableCARD in the background, and just needs some time to pull it all in.

Once the scan completes you should see a message telling you the number of new and updated channels that TV Server found. If TV Server does not find any new or updated channels that means it is having problems getting information from the CableCARD. This is almost always due to firewall configuration. Ensure TV Server has full access to your network.

In other words: check your firewall configuration! ;)

newyorkwedge

August 8, 2015
    Home Country
    I disabled Norton Firewall and tested it again to the same results. Is there anything special with Verizon FiOS or Ceton?

newyorkwedge

August 8, 2015
    Home Country
    Thank you for that; it worked nicely. How do I get EPG info for Verizon FiOS in New York City. Also, channels that use copy-once like HBO doesn't seem to work.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    How do I get EPG info for Verizon FiOS in New York City.
    You need to acquire EPG from an external source. Here are some comments I made last week that may help you too:
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...auppauge-pvr-2250-to-mp2.131490/#post-1145992

Also, channels that use copy-once like HBO doesn't seem to work.
    Yes, they won't work in MediaPortal because MediaPortal doesn't support DRM. The walkthrough that I previously linked explains the situation in the "DRM And Limitations" section:
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/cablecard-tuner-support-for-mediaportal-1.112585/

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom