Settings configuration inside MP (1 Viewer)

Edalex

Community Plugin Dev
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 3, 2008
    Saratov
    Home Country
    Russian Federation Russian Federation

Marduk65

Portal Pro
    November 28, 2011
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    Hi all,
    I noticed that for some settings changes that requires a Mediaportal restart, a dialog windows appears and the user can have immediately needed restart pressing a button. Is there a way to have this also for custom skin settings ?

Thanks

Scythe42

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 20, 2009
    Berlin
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Consider these restarts temporary. Goal is not to have any for changed MP settings. They only happen on parts that do not have "a proper" reload function at the moment implemented...

Last edited:

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    Consider these restarts temporary. Goal is not to have any for changed MP settings. They only happen on parts that do not have "a proper" reload function at the moment implemented...

True. We must indicate the user somehow that some setting requires a restart, not sure if it is needed before hand or just after exiting the config.

Marduk65

Portal Pro
    November 28, 2011
    Home Country
    Italy Italy

...my "interest" to that is because for my skin Xtreme I want to give to the user the possibility to have topbar transparent or not. At the moment this kind of change can only be viewed after a Mediaportal restart (at least using themes to have topbar transparency).
    Is planned also for the topbar a reload function to avoid the needed of MP restart to change used graphics ?

Thank you very much for your kind reply

Deda

Lead Dev MP1 Videos
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 18, 2009
    Zagreb
    Home Country
    Croatia Croatia
    Sure the goal is to prevent any restart, but as many of settings are loaded only once per session on MP start deep in the core and they are not accessible from other parts of MP, changing this will compromise stability and probably introduced many bugs before it will be usable (and I don't like to peek and mess in MP main thread because it's a mine field :) - just to enable changes in shares for internal plugins without restart I lost 2 weeks so I gave up after that because this will never be finished).

catavolt

Design Group Manager
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 13, 2007
    Königstein (Taunus)
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    ...my "interest" to that is because for my skin Xtreme I want to give to the user the possibility to have topbar transparent or not. At the moment this kind of change can only be viewed after a Mediaportal restart (at least using themes to have topbar transparency).
    To change a theme needs no restart.
    You can even consider to set a skin setting to do the transparency of topbar.
    In either case no restart of MP is necessary.

Marduk65

Portal Pro
    November 28, 2011
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    Sure the goal is to prevent any restart, but as many of settings are loaded only once per session on MP start deep in the core and they are not accessible from other parts of MP, changing this will compromise stability and probably introduced many bugs before it will be usable (and I don't like to peek and mess in MP main thread because it's a mine field :) - just to enable changes in shares for internal plugins without restart I lost 2 weeks so I gave up after that because this will never be finished).

...I don't want to bore you with strange things (your job on the implementation of settings in GUI is really really great and wonderful as is), but are there no possibility to implement something like this -> <entry name="#skin.topbar.transparent" RestartOnChange="true">False</entry> for custom skin settings, where RestartOnChange="True" make obviously an MP restart? (...please don't beat me if I'm writing something totally unapplicable ;) )

Thanks again[DOUBLEPOST=1359059605][/DOUBLEPOST]
    To change a theme needs no restart.

I know that, but if into a theme there are changes that impact the topbar, without a restart you cannot see the changes. This is not only for transparency, but also if you change the topbar background. For example in my skin there is a theme that changes the background of the topbar from black to white (a different png is used), and also in this case without an MP restart the topbar remains black.

You can even consider to set a skin setting to do the transparency of topbar.

...this is what I'm going to do and the reason why I've asked for MP restart in previous posts :) .

catavolt

Design Group Manager
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 13, 2007
    Königstein (Taunus)
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Pls have a look at new DW skin regarding the <include> tag.
    Look at the files for TVGuide - there you can see how to change a xml (including another GFX!) with a single checkbutton and without restarting MP ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom