Setup (1 Viewer)

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    you have to use a combination of the two!
    Mmh, I have no issues at my side, be it remote or mouse only.
    Regarding forward/rewind what remote are you using and what type of media do you want to control. For video you jump back and forth with left and right. And speed is controlled by subsequently pressing play. It the goes from 1x to 2x to 4x.

Nikki Locke

Portal Pro
    February 2, 2019
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Thanks again.

I am using a standard media centre remote control.

I think my difficulty using the remote control in add media sources is probably because it is not clear where the cursor is. I have now figured out by trial and error that the cursor can be either on the plus to expand a folder, or on the little dot and text next to it. But there is no visible (to me, anyway, from across the room) indication when it is on a plus sign (or on which one).

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Ah, I see. Admittedly this is not easy and this part is better done with a keyboard, particularly when it comes to having to enter text data. Yet something that you need to do only once.

Nikki Locke

Portal Pro
    February 2, 2019
    Home Country
    Entering text with a keyboard isn't exactly easy - the on-screen keyboard seems to get in the way, and prevent keystrokes going to the text field.

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    the on-screen keyboard seems to get in the way, and prevent keystrokes going to the text field.
    This is because you are using two or more input devices at the same time. As soon as the mouse cursor is moved into the text field it will activate the on-screen keyboard. So just keep the cursor out of the input field and navigate with the keyboard arrow keys instead.

Nikki Locke

Portal Pro
    February 2, 2019
    Home Country
    Thanks - I was only using the mouse to click on the field in the hope that it would get rid of the on-screen keyboard (or, at least, focus to the field so I could type)

Suggestion: why not forward keyboard input to the field when the onscreen keyboard is up, so it doesn't matter if it is there or not?

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I was only using the mouse to click on the field
    Ah no, that's wrong. When you click, you'll get the on-screen keyboard. Just move the cursor into the field and then type.

why not forward keyboard input to the field when the onscreen keyboard is up, so it doesn't matter if it is there or not?
    I can't comment on that, but the underlying structure is slightly more complex than what people may think. Doing it in the suggested manner would block keyboard input in other windows

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom