[no Bug] SetupTv freezes when clicking on Server (1 Viewer)

Snoopy87

Portal Pro
August 12, 2012
Home Country
Germany Germany
Hi,

today I installed (clean install!) MP 1.9 TV Server on my new Windows Server 2012 R2 (I know, it is not supported...).

If I expand "TV Servers" in SetupTv.exe, I see my Server. If I expand my Server node, I see all my available Tuners.

But If I click on my Server to e.g. disable a tuner, change cam settings, etc. SetupTv freezes.

Log files do not contain anything regarding the freeze.

Is this specific to Windows Server and if yes, why?

Regards,
Sascha

Attachments

• setup1.png
    setup1.png
    28.1 KB
  • setup2.png
    setup2.png
    34.9 KB

Snoopy87

Portal Pro
August 12, 2012
Home Country
Germany Germany
Hi,

there is no Watchdog, if you use the TV Server only. Please see my screenshots. The issue happens in the SetupTv.exe, and not in MediaPortal. Also there is no entry in the Windows Event logs. It's freezing, not crashing.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello Sasha

on my new Windows Server 2012 R2 (I know, it is not supported...).
    Okay... but the least you could do is post log files. You know what is expected by now.

Log files do not contain anything regarding the freeze.
    Please always post the log files anyway and let us be the judge whether there is anything useful in them.
    IMHO the "freeze" is caused by an exception thrown when loading that section, and in that case there should be entries in the SetupTv and/or SetupTv-Error logs...

Is this specific to Windows Server and if yes, why?
    Probably not, but obviously without knowing the cause of the problem it is not possible to answer. The screenshots are not enough for me to know the exact cause of the problem or fix it.

there is no Watchdog, if you use the TV Server only.
    Yes, but as above you can and should still post the log files if you want help.
    1. Open TV Server configuration.
    2. Click "open log directory".
    3. Zip up all the files in that folder.
    4. Post the zip file here.

Please see my screenshots.
    As above: not enough to determine the cause or fix it.

The issue happens in the SetupTv.exe, and not in MediaPortal.
    Sure. There are SetupTv logs... so post them! ;)

Regards,
    mm

Snoopy87

Portal Pro
    August 12, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I know that my screenshots are not really helping, but they show where the freezing happens and maybe the issue is known (because related to 1.9, Windows Server 2012, or something else).

As said, there are no entries in the log file or in the event viewer when I click on "HomeServer" and the application freezes.[DOUBLEPOST=1408035521][/DOUBLEPOST]I got it! This drives me crazy, because it took 8 hours to find out why it is not working!

On my Windows Server I disabled Audio, because I don't have Audio Output on it and of course I disabled everything which is not needed to save power consumption. After enabling Audio, everything is working now!

Also channel scan didn't work, but now after enabling Audio it is working.

Last edited:

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    ::1
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Glad you got it working again and TNX for reporting back Sascha.
    Thread status updated to 'No Bug' ;)

Snoopy87

Portal Pro
    August 12, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I think it is a bug, because SetupTV.exe should not freeze and Crash, if Audio is not enabled on the System. This makes no sense and of course an application should handles all known exceptions ;-)

It would be nice to inform the user that he has to enable Audio, because it is normal that a Server has no Audio and you don't figure it out that this is the cause why SetupTv is crashing and why channel scan is not working ;-)

Would be so nice, if MP could work out of the box some day. Currently there is always something where you have to figure out why it is not working. After TV Server is working now I'm trying to find out why I have a lot of artifacts and discontinue Errors. With TV Card in my HTPC it's working 100% perfectly. With TV Card in my Server (Hardware and Network is fast enough) not, so this will take a lot of hours and days too, to figure out the issue.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    As said, there are no entries in the log file or in the event viewer when I click on "HomeServer" and the application freezes.
    Does SetupTv really freeze, or does it just not show that section? I mean: after you click on "HomeServer", can you go back to "Project" or some other section?
    Also, did you close or kill SetupTv before collecting the logs?

On my Windows Server I disabled Audio, because I don't have Audio Output on it and of course I disabled everything which is not needed to save power consumption.
    Did you reboot after doing that?

I think it is a bug, because SetupTV.exe should not freeze and Crash, if Audio is not enabled on the System. This makes no sense and of course an application should handles all known exceptions ;-)
    This is not a known exception before now. ;)

I'm not sure that my previous guess is/was right. From the new information, it is possible that an issue is here:
    https://github.com/MediaPortal/Medi...e3/TVLibrary/SetupTv/Sections/TvCards.cs#L288

That AMKS Capture category often includes sound card inputs. If the "freeze" is in that function then it is possible that the OS has some problem enumerating that category... which can happen after installing, uninstalling or disabling drivers. That's why I asked the above questions.

It would be nice to inform the user that he has to enable Audio, because it is normal that a Server has no Audio and you don't figure it out that this is the cause why SetupTv is crashing and why channel scan is not working ;-)
    But we don't require audio for these things! ;)

I did not know that you had disabled audio, but even if I did I would not have known that could cause a problem like this. In other words I could not have told you "ahhh, to fix the problem you need to enable audio".

So, we can't inform the user what we don't know ourselves! ;)

Even now I don't think your results prove that audio is required. If you really want us to fix this "bug" more information and investigation is required.

Would be so nice, if MP could work out of the box some day. Currently there is always something where you have to figure out why it is not working. After TV Server is working now I'm trying to find out why I have a lot of artifacts and discontinue Errors. With TV Card in my HTPC it's working 100% perfectly. With TV Card in my Server (Hardware and Network is fast enough) not, so this will take a lot of hours and days too, to figure out the issue.
    Yes it would be nice... but I think it would also be nice if people didn't always blame MP for their problems. In this case it is your choice to use an unsupported OS and disable audio etc. etc. etc. In other words, if you choose some unusual configuration/platform then it is no surprise that you could have problems. Also many of the things that can go wrong with tuners are simply outside our control (eg. signal quality, real time security software scanning HDD).

Regards,
    mm

JackTramiel

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 22, 2006
    Recklinghausen
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    BTW. you cant say you will need audio enabled in general. Had my WHS2011 running fine without audio ( and even without gpu ) and
    my current tv server (W7) has no audio, too.

Another thing is that even a 1gbit ethernet connection is fast enough doesnt mean its reliable. Hard learned lesson.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom