Share or Copy the Database. (1 Viewer)

Jorgen_CAB

Portal Member
February 7, 2006
Halmstad
Home Country
Sweden Sweden
Which files do I need to copy to get the functionality of the movie database on several computers?

Right now I have Media Portal installed on two computers and right now I just copy the whole folder structure, but that result in some much unwanted configuring afterwards, then all is well.
I will soon be having Media Portal on four separate machines, one Laptop, my HTPC in the living room, the HTPC in the Bedroom and the one in our Kitchen. Is there an easy way of copying the database to a central point (my fileserver) and then from there copy it to the other computers by a script.

My question is what files and folders exactly do you need to make it work?

Inker

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 6, 2004
    There is a Database folder under your MP folder that has a bunch of .db3 files. Those are the databases, one for tv, one for movies, etc.

You just need to make sure that the paths remain the same on all the pcs, but if you use a fileserver than all should be well.

Inker

Jorgen_CAB

Portal Member
    February 7, 2006
    Halmstad
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    I suspected that I had to copy that folder, but I know that I also have to copy the "thumbs" folder that contaibns all the pictures of covers and stuff. But it seems as if I get all the data but I don't seem to be able to start any films.

I use the same shares connected to the same letters on all machines.

I will check and see once again if all files is copied, isn't there anyone else who has done this successfully?

onkl

Portal Pro
    February 18, 2005
    Wageningen
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Jorgen_CAB said:
    I suspected that I had to copy that folder, but I know that I also have to copy the "thumbs" folder that contaibns all the pictures of covers and stuff. But it seems as if I get all the data but I don't seem to be able to start any films.

I will check and see once again if all files is copied, isn't there anyone else who has done this successfully?
    Can you start the movie in "Files" view, so without using the database?

Inker

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 6, 2004
    Jorgen_CAB said:

Yes, you probably should also copy the thumbs folder, sorry i forgot that. If you can NOT start the movie from db view but CAN start it from file view (as onkl asked) then it means that the paths is different. Are you sure they are the same?
    The easiest thing would probably be to use UNC names, such as "\\servername\shared folder" and not rely on mapping those to a specific drive. Just a thought though.

If you cant start from either then its most likely some codec issue on one of your clients.

Inker

mPod

Portal Pro
    January 26, 2005
    Berlin
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Well, if you copy a database that points to paths and files, you hardly get the stuff played, as long as you don't put your video files to the exact path where they have been stored on the other machine. :wink:

...or edit the database...

Jorgen_CAB

Portal Member
    February 7, 2006
    Halmstad
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    I must just have made a misstake before, because now it works...
    I just copied the "VideoDatabaseV5.db3" and all the .jpg files in the thumbs folder to my fileserver and distribute that to the ohter computers, three at the moment.
    I now hava a script in place to sheck for updated files whenever I open and close MediaPortal. The only thing I can't do is edit the movie database on two places at the same time(might fix that to), but since I'm the only one doing the editing of the database that is not a problem.

There is a good reason why I use the letters instead of a UNC path at home. I instead use DFS root (Distributed File Share) to connect to three different shares matched with a letter. This way it does not matter where my movies, series and music is, I can move them to what ever computer or disk I want, the share will allways be the same. Quite flexible system to use.

Thank you for your input... :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom