Shared (Networked) database files (1 Viewer)

samedney

Portal Member
November 9, 2004
Oxford, UK
I have media portal set up on a few PC's in my house.

I have a Vaio laptop under the living room TV, which I use to access the media on its own disk, as well as media on my office PC.

I have recently been DivX'ing as many of my DVD's as possible, so I can watch them without having to get the DVD out (plus its cool) ;)

Now, I DivX the DVD's on the office PC, mostly because its faster, but also because its where the final AVI's will end up anyway.

Now, I also do the IMDB search on the office PC, and get the info for the movie. I then get the correct image from Amazon if needed, and make sure the details are correct.

Unfortunately, the information doesnt appear on the laptop in the living room. I have to go through the same procedure in order to pick up the values.

I have found a "short cut" for this, which involves copying the videodatabase file from the office PC to the laptop. However, I then also have to copy the thumbs/video folder - containing any new images.

Then I have to change the paths information too.

I say its a "short cut" - because if I do this in batches, it is quicker than IMDB'ing a list of movies. One at a time, its probably not quicker.

Anyway - is there a way to either share the databases, or synchronise the information, including any thumbnails??

The same could be done for photo thumbnails too.

If not... I want one. I suspect Im not the only person with MP set up on more than one PC.

Inker

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 6, 2004
    Agree, I'd also like the option to do the lookup from the config, so when I add a bunch of stuff I can quickly hop in get all the info and then in the evening I have all the info available in MP already ;-)

BTW I use a similar system with PC/Laptop.

A

Anonymous

This would be solved with a client/server setup - something a lot of people are wanting from what I've read. Also, it seems like the people who run MP on more than one computer are not in the few.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom