Should I migrate to AtmoWin? (1 Viewer)

kenwonders

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 19, 2007
    Home Country
    England England
    Hi there fellow ambilighters, I have been watching the improvements in here with great interest, since I started with AtmoWin back at the beginning of last year. As described elsewhere my current setup is 75 WS2801 LEDs using stock AtmoDuino and AmbiBox.

Now that you have added the Win8 capture mode, the best mode by far, to AtmoWin I think I want to migrate back, but I can't see (or am blind) some info that would help me decide:

- Does it work in Win8 mode with (the now moribund) vis in music?
    - Can I have it on during MP menus or does it only do the video frame?

many thanks in advance
    ken

Lightning303

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 12, 2009
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hey,
    Win8 capture mode has been in AtmoWin for quite some time, a very long time. Its not that it just got added last month or so. Maybe you just missed it? ;)

- Does it work in Win8 mode with (the now moribund) vis in music?
    It should, but i havent tried it out (dont have Win8).

- Can I have it on during MP menus or does it only do the video frame?
    The Win8 mode of AtmoWin is pretty much just a checkbox, if you hit that the AtmoWin live capture will use it. So everything you see on your screen gets displayed on your leds. That includes menus, movies, games and so on.
    If you want to use Win8 mode an AtmoLight, you just check the Win8 box in AtmoWin and choose "External Live Mode" in AtmoLight.
    However "MediaPortal Live Mode" is also able to control you leds while in menus. Atm you need a patched MP.exe for it to work, but in the next MP release (1.11 Pre) this will be included.

So, i guess what you want to do, should work. Up to you what you want to use (AmbiBox, AtmoWin Win8, AtmoWin with AtmoLight). I personally think AtmoWin gives the best and smoothest colors, but its a bit buggy/wonky. Best you try all the options out yourself :).

kenwonders

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 19, 2007
    Home Country
    England England
    Hey,
    Win8 capture mode has been in AtmoWin for quite some time, a very long time. Its not that it just got added last month or so. Maybe you just missed it? ;)
    No I congratulated you at the time, or maybe you missed it? ;). I just haven't been in a mediaportal mood for a while, perhaps because it's been working!

The Win8 mode of AtmoWin is pretty much just a checkbox, if you hit that the AtmoWin live capture will use it. So everything you see on your screen gets displayed on your leds. That includes menus, movies, games and so on.
    If you want to use Win8 mode an AtmoLight, you just check the Win8 box in AtmoWin and choose "External Live Mode" in AtmoLight.
    However "MediaPortal Live Mode" is also able to control you leds while in menus. Atm you need a patched MP.exe for it to work, but in the next MP release (1.11 Pre) this will be included.

So, i guess what you want to do, should work. Up to you what you want to use (AmbiBox, AtmoWin Win8, AtmoWin with AtmoLight). I personally think AtmoWin gives the best and smoothest colors, but its a bit buggy/wonky. Best you try all the options out yourself :).

Looks good then, I'll give it a try. You say games? Is this better than AmbiBox win8 mode? That doesn't usually pick up DirectX which means you have to use PlayClaw to grab the frames.

Menu control would be great, but sadly I have to avoid 1.11 as it won't have music vis, hopefully this will be rectified soon.

A big (y) for your response!

Rick164

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2006
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    For games AtmoWin isn't a great choice as it does support some DX9 ones but most of the time it will not work, either AmbiBox or Hyperion with live capture is your best bet for that :)

Hyperion has the upside of not relying on DirectX hooks which often lower performance or just don't work right, its live capture solution is more trouble to setup with additional hardware but there's a DIY link in my signature for it.

kenwonders

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 19, 2007
    Home Country
    England England
    For games AtmoWin isn't a great choice as it does support some DX9 ones but most of the time it will not work, either AmbiBox or Hyperion with live capture is your best bet for that :)

Hyperion has the upside of not relying on DirectX hooks which often lower performance or just don't work right, its live capture solution is more trouble to setup with additional hardware but there's a DIY link in my signature for it.

Loads of great information, thank you. I think the end point of this project for me is an external box. I don't want to think about it so long as it is showing what the TV is showing, and I have Xbox360, Wii and ZX Spectrum to go too. I even think I may have a spare HDMI output on my AV amp just waiting to be used.

I'm not sure I get what I read about 24p though, if I had a HDMI->Composite box that turned 24p into 50/60 hz wouldn't that mean it would be fine for the grabber?

Huge thanks for all your work while I have your attention (y)

Rick164

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2006
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    24P live capture is working for one user which we could indeed confirm so it's possible with the right equipment which is on the last page on the Hyperion DIY thread, just haven't been able to replicate it yet :(
    My current solution is to have an remote power brick to enable live capture (games/console/stb) and leave it off when watching movies that need 24P, this way you can have the best of both as AtmoLight does offer a bit more options and better color measurements compared to live capture.

If you need any help setting it up just let me know in the Hyperion thread.

kenwonders

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 19, 2007
    Home Country
    England England
    24P live capture is working for one user which we could indeed confirm so it's possible with the right equipment which is on the last page on the Hyperion DIY thread, just haven't been able to replicate it yet :(
    My current solution is to have an remote power brick to enable live capture (games/console/stb) and leave it off when watching movies that need 24P, this way you can have the best of both as AtmoLight does offer a bit more options and better color measurements compared to live capture.

If you need any help setting it up just let me know in the Hyperion thread.
    I see it, that's similar to the converter I have. Theoretically I have everything to do this now, see you in the Hyperion thread soon I hope :)

Thanks again

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom