[Approved] Show DVB-S2 as channel type (1 Viewer)

Wbunaarf

Portal Pro
December 9, 2005
Sweden
Home Country
Sweden Sweden
The inner FEC rate is available and needed for satellite tuners. It is not needed for tuning DVB-T or DVB-T2 channels though. The tuner drivers automatically determine the correct FEC rate to use...

I suppose the drivers aren't nice enough to expose these parameters?

//Johannes

wonkyd

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 29, 2007
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi Johannes

The inner FEC rate is available and needed for satellite tuners. It is not needed for tuning DVB-T or DVB-T2 channels though. The tuner drivers automatically determine the correct FEC rate to use...

mm

Could you not make the assumption that if the modulation is above 64QAM it is DVB-T2? Most DVB-T2 implementations seem to use 256QAM

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I suppose the drivers aren't nice enough to expose these parameters?
    No... well at least not reliably.

Could you not make the assumption that if the modulation is above 64QAM it is DVB-T2? Most DVB-T2 implementations seem to use 256QAM
    You don't have to set the modulation when tuning to DVB-T or DVB-T2 muxes - the driver figures it out automatically - so that is not an option without more significant changes.

mm

arion_p

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 7, 2007
    Athens
    Home Country
    Greece Greece
    Out of curiosity: why would the user need to know if it is a DVB-S or DVB-S2 channel?
    Sure it makes a difference it if it is DVB-T vs DVB-S due to different susceptibility to weather conditions, but S vs S2?

arion_p

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 7, 2007
    Athens
    Home Country
    Greece Greece
    But not necessarily. Wouldn't it be more important to know HD vs SD instead of S vs S2?
    Also isn't it possible for a channel to mix HD and SD content (regardless if SD is broadcast as SD or upscaled to HD)?
    So S2 would only be a hint that there may be HD content (while it is still possible that DVB-S is HD too, so not really an indicator of any kind)

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    But not necessarily. Wouldn't it be more important to know HD vs SD instead of S vs S2?
    Also isn't it possible for a channel to mix HD and SD content (regardless if SD is broadcast as SD or upscaled to HD)?
    So S2 would only be a hint that there may be HD content (while it is still possible that DVB-S is HD too, so not really an indicator of any kind)

For casual user the -S/-S2 doesn't indeed mean anything. All that matters is the HD / SD information, but there is no way to tell what the broadcaster wil be sending. Lot of "real" HD channels send upscaled SD content. Also some channels mix SD (not upscaled) and HD programsin their schedules. So we cannot show any HD/SD information to the end user which leads to the question: does -S/-S2 information give anything to the end user (sure it will help debugging some issues) or will it just be confusing?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    You'll have to ask Vasilich why he wants to have DVB-S2 channels label. I'm just suggesting...

Absolutely - very common.

...while it is still possible that DVB-S is HD too...
    As far as I'm aware that doesn't happen. At least it doesn't happen here. DVB-S + MPEG is much less efficient than DVB-S2 + h.264.

Don't get me wrong - to be quite honest I'm not really in favour of the patch even though it would technically be incorrect to label DVB-S2 as DVB-S. There are much bigger issues that I am concerned about.

Vasilich

Portal Pro
    August 30, 2009
    Germany, Mayence
    Home Country
    Russian Federation Russian Federation
    i just wanted to see what channels are ABLE to deliver HD content.
    Surely this information is just 'nice to have', not more. And this patch cannot be pushed in costs of other much more important patches.

mm: i know one channel sending MPEG4 on DVB-S
    http://www.lyngsat.com/Astra-1H-1KR-1L-1M-2C.html seek for "Einsfestival promo"

Last edited:

arion_p

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 7, 2007
    Athens
    Home Country
    Greece Greece
    AFAIK up to recently Australia had HD channels in MPEG2 over DVB-T (not T2). I simply assumed if it was possible to use all DVB-T bandwidth to broadcast a single HD MPEG2 channel it would be possible to do so for DVB-S too (using e.g. the bandwidth of 4 SD channels)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom