[Approved] Show DVB-S2 as channel type (1 Viewer)

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Sure, it is possible. I'm just saying it is expensive, which makes it undesirable for the broadcasters. DVB-S bandwidth is much more expensive than DVB-T (or so I am told), so less likely to happen with DVB-S. Usually "old" standards (DVB-S, MPEG 2) are only used when there is a large existing user base with equipment that can't handle the new standard.

That is what has happened in Australia. They had an MPEG 2 DVB-T network before Freeview was created. From what I have heard, their Freeview (DVB-T) is broadcast with some HD 1080i MPEG 2 channels, but their Freeview certified receivers have to be h.264 capable so they can upgrade to h.264 in future as soon as there are enough people with h.264 capable receivers to not cause to many complaints.

We in NZ have HD on DVB-T for our Freeview, but that is with h.264. Freeview is also broadcast on satellite for people in rural areas that can't receive DVB-T signals - that is an MPEG 2 SD service.

Vasilich

Portal Pro
    August 30, 2009
    Germany, Mayence
    Home Country
    Russian Federation Russian Federation
    so what is then? reject because this info isn't really useful for majority of users, and not possible to detect DBV-T2?

Wbunaarf

Portal Pro
    December 9, 2005
    Sweden
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Apart from that I like to have 'correct' info shown I think it can be useful as well.

Let's say you have one S and one S2 card (or one T and one T2). If you combine this patch with a flag on the card(s) then there's no risk of mapping a channel to a card which doesn't support it.

However, my original objection that it's inconsistent to separate S/S2 but not T/T2 still stands.

//W (Btw, I have an S2 SD channel...)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom