[solved] shuttering Live HD TV only (1 Viewer)

Romijn

Portal Member
November 3, 2011
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
Hi I'm Looking for some help finding a solution agains shuttering of live TV HD content.

I'm using Mediaportal quite long allready mainly in SD quality. Now a lot of chanals change over to HD and the shuter problems are coming. I have a dedicated Server and two single Clients running.

attached the logs from a client and the Server

Attachments

• SetupTv-Error.2.zip
    2.1 MB

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Please set both client and server logs to debug level, restart the TV Service and reproduce the problem. Then use Watchdog to collect all logs.

Romijn

Portal Member
    November 3, 2011
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Did so. Server has no Whatchdog so made a logdump from sever configurator[DOUBLEPOST=1454424256][/DOUBLEPOST]Did not understand direct what you ment but did it again hopefully you can find a solution.

Last edited:

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi,

Your client logs were again taken at "Info" level instead of "Debug". You can set the log level in MediaPortal Configuration.

However, your tswriter.log - that's what the TVServer is writing to the buffer, which is then read by the client - contains lots of continuity errors like
    [2016-02-02 14:26:10,074] [5e2b360] [6d4] - Recorder: Pid 206 Continuity error... d ( prev 9 ) - bad signal?
    There can be different reasons for this. The most likely would be that there are some signal issues (RTL8 HD). The driver for your DD card is reporting 100/80. 80% for the signal quality is IMHO critical when dealing with a DD card. Are you able to verify if picture artifacts occur when connecting the SAT line to a standard TV/SAT receiver?

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Then next thing to look for is if other activities on the server are "stealing" capacity.

Open the Windows task manager (Win 10) or the resource manager (Win 7) to monitor CPU and HD load while playing HD channels. Loll for anything suspicious whenever Stuttering occurs. Make sure that time shift file paths as well as databases etc are excluded from virus scans.

Where are the time shift files stored? A dedicated disk or the same as the system? Ideally you would use a RamDisk or a dedicated SSD.

Romijn

Portal Member
    November 3, 2011
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Hi,

Made some changes and checked the CPU and HD loads when playing HD channels. Changes made are timeshift files stored on a separate HDD on the Server. Excluded these maps from virus scan.

CPU is running at 25 to 45% load
    HDD are running at 5% ore less.
    and changes made for timeshift files and exclusion of Virusscan

All these change did not gave any improvements.

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    The client log keeps showing video continuity errors:
    [2016-02-04 10:11:40,298] [ d516208] [ e04] - Video Continuity error... 3 ( prev f ), bufferOffset=13312, bufferLength=131072
    I assume that these are due to similar problems on the server, but this is only an assumption since you did not add the server log this time. Take a look at tswriter.log and verify if there are issues logged at the same time.

I still strongly believe that the problem is linked to the server side rather than the client. When you say that you don't see problems if using a SAT receiver, did you connect it using the very same cable and plug that the server is connected to?

Romijn

Portal Member
    November 3, 2011
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Hi,

Did some testing with signal strengths. Even had contact with Digital devices to advice. They say that with 50 yo 55% strengths there is a good possibility that with a S2 V6 DD the signal is to week to give a good HD quality signal. There for i will try to improve the signal strength by adjusting my dish!

Will keep you informed about the outcome.

Romijn

Portal Member
    November 3, 2011
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Hi

Took a while but finally I have good new. The problem is not MediaPortal stream or computer based. After sorrow research on the internet I found out that my dish LNB combination was not good. I had a DUO LNB suited for a 60 cm dish, and I have an 80 cm dish. Just replace the LNB for a correct one an now no shuttering occurs anymore. The quality an strength went up high up to nearly 100%. The lower quality and strength was sufficient for a standard sat receiver but weak for a pc card.

So no shuttering any more on HD channels!

Thanks for you help

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom