[Rejected] Signal Strength for more TV cards. (1 Viewer)

chemelli

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 28, 2006
    Milano, Italy
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    I proposed my help nicely therefore, it appears to me that, it's more a "Payment of accounts in OK Corral" than an interesting exchanges of ideas.
    If it's case, I really wonder it is worth to continue this way.

Regards.

Sorry but I don't like that behaviour.

We are trying to get a working solution for everyone. Doesn't make any sense to change current code, that is not working for every brand, with another one that is still failing in some/many situations.

I can assure you we are discussion this on a daily basis to find the right way to go, but it's not that easy.

If you want to continue contribute MP code with your patches we are more than happy, but we definitively don't want to apply hacks or workarround to our code, that is already plenty of those.

Simone

framug

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 31, 2005
    South of France
    Home Country
    France France
    Sorry but I don't like that behaviour.
    So I am.

We are trying to get a working solution for everyone.
    I try to get it too but, alone...

Doesn't make any sense to change current code, that is not working for every brand, with another one that is still failing in some/many situations.
    I agree with, that's why I proposed the INT solution but of course, it's not an universal one and, I open my mind too.
    I assure you that it's just a proposal, I'm really pleased to see your proposals too.

I can assure you we are discussion this on a daily basis to find the right way to go, but it's not that easy.
    I was pretty sure about this and, you confirmed it, great. And yes, it's not that easy.

Regards.

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi all,

A little while ago I suggested, following a discussion in IRC, that we add logging to channel scan in order to generate data for different cards.

I honestly think now that this is quite simply the only solution.

We need to be able to produce a 'signalstrength.log' file with the name of the card, vendor, driver version and signal strength data from the scan. If we don't have that information then anything else will be pure speculation and we will keep going round the houses on this issue.

Framug - are you able to help with this? You obviously understand some of the issues involved. We would need to issue a patch/public SVN for testing/data submission and maybe this issue can finally be resolved.

I would be happy to collate the data produced if this could be done.

Best wishes,

Mark

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    Something that would be useful at this stage:

Create an new debug console / window that will be able to show and update following information so we can make some public testing on wide range of different hardware to collect some database for the later use (i.e. to have dB values to shown to users).

• Add new button in the "manual control" view to launch new debug view/log window
    • Log card manufacturer, driver version and raw signal level information (one line per 1 second for the signal level, once for the others per tune)
    • figure out the best way to handle multiple cards running at once (maybe just show details for the focused card?)
    • log signal quality data (raw data)
    • log signal locked data (raw data)
    • Allow user to copy & paste the signal data

After such we could as our users to provide data for the different DVB cards and maybe at some day to build a more realiable signal level display for the users. Also that implementation would already help users to "finetune" their antennas and dishes as the raw data would give some pointers to them about the signal level.

chemelli

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 28, 2006
    Milano, Italy
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    Create an new debug console / window that will be able to show and update following information so we can make some public testing on wide range of different hardware to collect some database for the later use (i.e. to have dB values to shown to users).

• Add new button in the "manual control" view to launch new debug view/log window
    • Log card manufacturer, driver version and raw signal level information (one line per 1 second for the signal level, once for the others per tune)
    • figure out the best way to handle multiple cards running at once (maybe just show details for the focused card?)
    • log signal quality data (raw data)
    • log signal locked data (raw data)
    • Allow user to copy & paste the signal data

As we are not progressing on this , I'll reject the patch.
    If someone will comeup with a new implementation for it, he can just open a new thread ;)

Simone

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom