Silverstone SST-LC10 (1 Viewer)

A

Anonymous

So everything I'm reading about silent PCs says to use bigger fans. The bigger the fan, the slower the turn speed, the quieter the PC. If that's the case, why are there 2x 60mm fans in this case? Is there room for it to use larger 120mm fans? I'm kind of lost, as I can't seem to find an HTPC case that uses the larger 120mm fans.

fathead

Portal Pro
March 17, 2005
Smithore said:
So everything I'm reading about silent PCs says to use bigger fans. The bigger the fan, the slower the turn speed, the quieter the PC. If that's the case, why are there 2x 60mm fans in this case? Is there room for it to use larger 120mm fans? I'm kind of lost, as I can't seem to find an HTPC case that uses the larger 120mm fans.

You are quite right. The theory is the larger the fan, the slower it needs to spin to generate an equal amount of airflow to a smaller fan. Obviously the slower it spins, the less noise it generates.

In terms of HTPC design though it is very difficult to use large fans, mainly due to size restrictions. A 120mm fan is obviously 12cm x 12cm square - where are you going to fit that in one of these cases? HTPC cases are small for a reason, so they fit in with your home entertainment equipment such as DVD player & Hifi.

It is possible to buy small quiet fans, the problem is they don't push a whole lot of air so the temperature of your PC goes up. Its a battle everyone designing this type of machine has.

A

Anonymous

In terms of HTPC design though it is very difficult to use large fans, mainly due to size restrictions. A 120mm fan is obviously 12cm x 12cm square - where are you going to fit that in one of these cases? HTPC cases are small for a reason, so they fit in with your home entertainment equipment such as DVD player & Hifi.

Hmmm. I guess all of the stuff I've been reading on silent PC forums have been geared towards tower cases that can support the larger fans. So even were I to buy one of the Silverstone cases, I couldn't fit any larger aftermarket fans in it? I guess that means I need to look for larger HTPC cases or realize I have to put a tower in the living room.

vbap

Portal Pro
February 15, 2005
Melbourne, Australia
The new versions of the Arisetec cases (full ATX ie HT100,200, 400) replaced the 2x60mmm fans for 1x80mm fans. The fan grill was also changed to use a proper wire grille rather than machine-stamped holes.

In my case, the 80mm actually never turns itself on - it's controlled by the motherboard and the temps never get hot enough to warrant turning on the fan. The CPU fan is the only fan in my system, and it's on it;s slowest speed (via Zalman fanmate). If I swap the zalman CPU fan for a panaflo, I could probably get rid of the very subtle clicking noise too, but so far, it's quiet enough to pass the WAF. :)

So, if you choose the right components, then you may never need those 2x60 fans anyway...

But I have my eye on one of these (http://www.zylux.com.au/AHANIX/MCE301.htm), but that will require a change in hardware down to mATX (but even this tiny case has an 80mm fan!). My birthday is in August if anyone wants to chip in :p !!

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the tips on cases, guys. What do you think of the Uneed X11? It has space for an 80mm fan in the back:

http://www.iuneed.com/x11.html

Would this case be able to keep an Intel 2.4 GHz CPU cool if I put the Thermalright XP-90 heatsink on it?

vbap

Portal Pro
February 15, 2005
Melbourne, Australia
The X11 has similar dimensions to my HT100. At the end of the day, the plus side is that it's a (relatively) roomy case that can accept full ATX components, so keeping components cool shouldn't be a problem. I got all my quiet cooling tips from www.silentpcreview.com

However, I've decided the HT100 looks too big (for my loungeroom setup anyway). I don't have a stereo system or other hi-fi components, so it looks too obvious. If my case had to be on display, then I would switch to the Ahanix MCE-301, but as I mentioned, keeping things cool in a mATX case will be challenging (also, the 301 can only accept low-profile cards).

If I end up getting TV cabinet with solid doors, then I could stick with the HT100 (but then I'll need an external IR receiver).

LastMar

Portal Pro
November 17, 2004
fathead said:

It is possible to buy small quiet fans, the problem is they don't push a whole lot of air so the temperature of your PC goes up. Its a battle everyone designing this type of machine has.

The general consensus on SPCR is that two 80mm fans undervolted to produce the same airflow as one 120mm fan are quieter than the one 80mm fan would be... Something to keep in mind or HTPC design, especially since 80mm fans are easier to fit. I wouldn't bother with anything smaller with 80mm, though.

If you need a quiet 92mm fan, the Nexus Real Silent Case Fan is by far the best... Be careful though, because it produces much less airflow than a typical 80mm fan.

As far as 80mm fans go, the Nexus 80mm fan is again the best, Panaflos are good it you get the L1A, etc. The Nexus 80mm can cause problems if you undervolt it too much though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom