Simerec PCS-MCE solution (1 Viewer)

Stéphane Lenclud

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 29, 2013
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I just received my PCS-MCE device. It's pretty cool though it's not recognized as a "Microsoft eHome Infrared Transceiver" so expect some customization to get it working the way you want.

However it managed to recognize every RC-6 code I've sent its way including my favorite DVD Eject :) Looks like some great applications could be developed using this device. I'm in touch with the developer to try and see how the command it sends in response to IR code could be customized.

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I just received my PCS-MCE device. It's pretty cool though it's not recognized as a "Microsoft eHome Infrared Transceiver"
    I looked at this device a couple of years ago (but have never used one). As far as I remember, it is not an IR receiver for controlling a media center. It is a simple low-voltage power-switch that is connected in parallel with the on/off switch in the system unit, and hence performs the same function as the on/off switch in the system unit.

The distinguishing feature of the Simerec device is that it is controlled by IR signals, and you can program it to respond to any IR signal that you want (one for "power on", another for "power off"). But you will still need to use a normal IR receiver to control MP, in addition to the Simerec device.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

EDIT: I see now that there is a new Simerec device -- the PCS-MCE -- which does control a media center that uses RC6 IR signals. The device that I described above is the earlier model, the PCS-1 or PCS-2. Doh!

Last edited:

Stéphane Lenclud

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 29, 2013
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

Stéphane Lenclud

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 29, 2013
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    From Simerec I got the following instructions to setup the back button to send "browser back" instead of the default "backspace".
    I'm expecting the whole documentation on Monday:

The following will change the BACK button from Backspace to "browser_back, Navigate backward".

To change PCS-MCE settings, there are 3 main steps:

1. Enter configuration mode.
    2. Change setting(s).
    3. Exit configuration mode.

Everything is done by pressing button sequences on the IR remote. The PC can be on or off during PCS-MCE re-configuration, but if the PC is on, keep in mind that the button presses will be sent to the PC.

Enter Configuration Mode

Press and hold the Play button. You will see the LED on the PCS-MCE blink as you hold the Play button down. Continue to hold until the LED stops blinking. (It takes about 5 seconds.)

Enter the following key sequence: #140469, then ENTER (or OK). (Note that's your serial number you're entering.)

The LED should be lit at this point, and the PCS-MCE is now in configuration mode.

Change BACK Button To "browser_back, Navigate backward"

Enter the following sequence: #500, then ENTER or OK

The PCS-MCE LED will blink slowly during button re-configuration process.

Now press and release the BACK button, then enter the following sequence: 0130009000, then ENTER or OK.
    (LED should stop blinking, and stay lit.)

Exit Configuration Mode

Press the CLEAR button (LED should turn off.)

For reference:

How To Factory Reset The PCS-MCE

1. Enter configuration mode by entering #,your serial number, then ENTER.
    2. Enter the following sequence: #000, then ENTER.
    3. Exit configuration mode by pressing CLEAR button.

Stéphane Lenclud

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 29, 2013
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I'm trying to get this device working properly with MP and possibly provide out of the box support for it.
    Here is a screenshot obtained through http://hg.slions.net/FutabaVfd/ showing PCS-MCE HID VendorId and ProdcutId:

upload_2014-11-2_22-49-23.png

It shows one entry for each Top Level Collection supported by this device. The 0xFFBC Top Level Collection is actually the one corresponding to MCE Remote control. See Windows Media Center RC IR Collection Green Button Specification for the button codes within that HID TLC Page.

Below is another screen obtained through http://hg.slions.net/GenericHid/:

upload_2014-11-2_23-4-51.png

PCS-MCE:
    HID VendorID: 0x04ED
    HID ProductID: 0x005F

Last edited:

Stéphane Lenclud

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 29, 2013
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    To avoid using Simerec splicer solution, since it's rather dirty and irreversible, I did some crimping to hook a proper 2.54 housing to the standby power input of that PCS-MCE. I modded an ATX cable extension to intercept the standby power and hook it to the PCS-MCE. That one should be used in the HTPC. I also modded a Molex power cable which I'm using to power the device while developing support for it.

PCS-MCE-standby-power-hook.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom