Simerec PCS-MCE solution

Discussion in 'Input/Output Interfaces' started by Stéphane Lenclud, October 15, 2014.

1. Stéphane Lenclud
    • Team MediaPortal

Stéphane Lenclud Development Group

Ratings:
    +1,265 / 8
    Home Country:
    Germany Germany
    Show System Specs
    I just received my PCS-MCE device. It's pretty cool though it's not recognized as a "Microsoft eHome Infrared Transceiver" so expect some customization to get it working the way you want.

However it managed to recognize every RC-6 code I've sent its way including my favorite DVD Eject :) Looks like some great applications could be developed using this device. I'm in touch with the developer to try and see how the command it sends in response to IR code could be customized.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. CyberSimian
    • Team MediaPortal

CyberSimian Test Group

Ratings:
    +893 / 3
    Home Country:
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Show System Specs
    I looked at this device a couple of years ago (but have never used one). As far as I remember, it is not an IR receiver for controlling a media center. It is a simple low-voltage power-switch that is connected in parallel with the on/off switch in the system unit, and hence performs the same function as the on/off switch in the system unit.

The distinguishing feature of the Simerec device is that it is controlled by IR signals, and you can program it to respond to any IR signal that you want (one for "power on", another for "power off"). But you will still need to use a normal IR receiver to control MP, in addition to the Simerec device.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

EDIT: I see now that there is a new Simerec device -- the PCS-MCE -- which does control a media center that uses RC6 IR signals. The device that I described above is the earlier model, the PCS-1 or PCS-2. Doh!

Last edited: October 16, 2014
  4. Stéphane Lenclud
    • Team MediaPortal

Ratings:
    +1,265 / 8
    Home Country:
    Germany Germany
    Show System Specs
    Correct, that's the one I'm currently evaluating. Sorry I forgot to include that link: http://www.simerec.com/PCS-MCE_Model_1_Install_Pre.pdf

5. Stéphane Lenclud
    • Team MediaPortal

Ratings:
    +1,265 / 8
    Home Country:
    Germany Germany
    Show System Specs
    From Simerec I got the following instructions to setup the back button to send "browser back" instead of the default "backspace".
    I'm expecting the whole documentation on Monday:

6. Stéphane Lenclud
    • Team MediaPortal

Ratings:
    +1,265 / 8
    Home Country:
    Germany Germany
    Show System Specs
    Simerec is now taking feature suggestions for their next version of PCS-MCE. This is your opportunity to contribute, you can contact them directly by e-mail.
    See: http://www.simerec.com/contact.html

Last edited: November 2, 2014
  7. Stéphane Lenclud
    • Team MediaPortal

Ratings:
    +1,265 / 8
    Home Country:
    Germany Germany
    Show System Specs
    I'm trying to get this device working properly with MP and possibly provide out of the box support for it.
    Here is a screenshot obtained through http://hg.slions.net/FutabaVfd/ showing PCS-MCE HID VendorId and ProdcutId:

upload_2014-11-2_22-49-23.png

It shows one entry for each Top Level Collection supported by this device. The 0xFFBC Top Level Collection is actually the one corresponding to MCE Remote control. See Windows Media Center RC IR Collection Green Button Specification for the button codes within that HID TLC Page.

Below is another screen obtained through http://hg.slions.net/GenericHid/:

upload_2014-11-2_23-4-51.png

PCS-MCE:
    HID VendorID: 0x04ED
    HID ProductID: 0x005F

Last edited: November 2, 2014
  8. Stéphane Lenclud
    • Team MediaPortal

Ratings:
    +1,265 / 8
    Home Country:
    Germany Germany
    Show System Specs
    I'm going to try use MP Generic HID setup to get started with this remote.

9. Stéphane Lenclud
    • Team MediaPortal

Ratings:
    +1,265 / 8
    Home Country:
    Germany Germany
    Show System Specs
    To avoid using Simerec splicer solution, since it's rather dirty and irreversible, I did some crimping to hook a proper 2.54 housing to the standby power input of that PCS-MCE. I modded an ATX cable extension to intercept the standby power and hook it to the PCS-MCE. That one should be used in the HTPC. I also modded a Molex power cable which I'm using to power the device while developing support for it.

PCS-MCE-standby-power-hook.jpg

• Like Like x 1

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice
  • About The Project

The vision of the MediaPortal project is to create a free open source media centre application, which supports all advanced media centre functions, and is accessible to all Windows users.

In reaching this goal we are working every day to make sure our software is one of the best.

• Support MediaPortal!

The team works very hard to make sure the community is running the best HTPC-software. We give away MediaPortal for free but hosting and software is not for us.

Care to support our work with a few bucks? We'd really appreciate it!