Single episode 2 parts, How to see as 1 (1 Viewer)

ryan20021982

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 27, 2008
    USA
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Ok is there any naming convention that can do multi part episodes.

For example

episode.s01e01.part 1
    episode.s01e01.part 2

Right now I just left them and some have 2 versions of the same episode which is fine but just would be nice to have them seen as 1 episode like the multi part movies get picked up by movingpictures.

These files are different and cannot be joined with reencoding them, which I do not want to do, I would just rather leave it as is than do that, just not worth the time.

I tried to search for this but everything I found was the opposite of what I need, 2 episodes in 1 file.

Thanks

DerPrinz82

Portal Pro
    September 3, 2011
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Single episode 2 parts, How to see as 1

+1
    Same problem here.

Naming the episode this way doesn't work for me:
    episode.s01e01.part 1
    episode.s01e01.part 2
    It plays the second file first in my case.

Hope there is a solution for this...

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Why not use mkvmerge and append the second file to first, no re-encoding done.

name s01.e01.e02.

got one somewhere in my collection and it shows up fine.

DerPrinz82

Portal Pro
    September 3, 2011
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Re: Single episode 2 parts, How to see as 1

name s01.e01.e02.

That makes sense when you want to put two epsiodes in one file.
    But I'm talking about one episode in two files.
    If these two files use different containers, you cannot merge them without reencoding.

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    That makes sense when you want to put two epsiodes in one file.
    But I'm talking about one episode in two files.
    If these two files use different containers, you cannot merge them without reencoding.

It's many many years since I have come across such dodgy file encoding, btw does not cd1 cd2 work.

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    Re: AW: Re: Single episode 2 parts, How to see as 1

You *ONLY* need to re-encode if you want to alter the video-codec and/or audio-codec. Re-encoding audio codec can be done fast; even a slow system can cope with that in a timespan of a few minutes per hours worth of audio-codec material.

So the problem would be the video-codec. Still even if you are forced to do so, you can make sacrifices in quality or filesize to gain extra speed to get the job done, quick single pass at a good bitrate for example will not get you any filesize reduction but it will convert fast even on a slow computer. I still find it highly unlikely that you have 2 halfs of a single episode and they would be in a different video-codec.

Different containers themselves are not a problem, if the software you use is not capable of directly merging say an AVI and MP4 into an MKV, then you simply have to convert one into the other first, so you end up with two of the same containers and then merge them into the result. There are countless tools available to assist you in the remuxing process. AVI Mux GUI (does a lot more then just AVI), mkvmerge, etc. And those tools do not touch the codecs, they only work with the containers. The result is usually created as fast as your harddisks can copy a file.

A container is nothing more then a way to hold all the codecs together and interleave them together via keyframes and other methods so that they can be synced up during playback.

ryan20021982

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 27, 2008
    USA
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I've been encoding blurays and dvds for years and know the way around it and it has nothing to do with not wanting to, there just should be a way to name them is all.

Mkvmerge and TSmuxer both have errors on all of them when appending the files and so does an avi joiner when the files are avi's. The ones I need to do it with are .mpg files and everytime I append there is an audio error which usually is fine it just picked up empty data but in this case after appending them the all play as an audio file only.

Since there is already a system set in place in movingpictures shouldnt it be able to be added to TVSeries?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom