Skin engine slower than your grandma? A hint (1 Viewer)

Nash

Portal Member
January 11, 2005
Hello, since I use MediaPortal, which is a great programm, indeed, I was dissatisfied with the slowliness of the skin engine.
In the main menu scrolling through the items was a pain in the ass.
Yesterday I increased the frame buffer size from my internal graphic card from 32MB to 64 MB.
I'm overwhelmed right now. The BlueTwo skin is so smooth. It's working like a charm.

Maybe this can help also for some other guys who are complaining.

Greetings

Nash

Nash

Portal Member
January 11, 2005
If you have a graphic card, which is implemented on the mainboard than you can change the size in the BIOS. The additional memory is taken from RAM.

Nash

Brocklander

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 15, 2004
    Wellington
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Just to clarify the above post, if you are using the onboard graphics on your motherboard, you can increase the amount of system memory that it uses. I believe there is also a setting somewhere in Windows that allows you to do this, rather than through the BIOS.

If you want things to really zip along look at picking up a cheap DX9 card, there are many threads on the forum on this.

Khris

Portal Pro
    July 2, 2005
    Edmonton, AB
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Brocklander said:
    Just to clarify the above post, if you are using the onboard graphics on your motherboard, you can increase the amount of system memory that it uses. I believe there is also a setting somewhere in Windows that allows you to do this, rather than through the BIOS.

Any on-board graphics adapter I've dealt with has no settings in Windows which let you change the amount of memory, it's strictly a BIOS feature.

Marcusb

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 16, 2005
    Melbourne
    Yep, this is always done via the BIOS. There may be some tweaking software that lets you use Windows, but I've never heard of it.

Also, for the people who complain about the speed of the skins, as has been said *many* times before, YOU NEED A GFX CARD THAT HAS HARDWARE ACCELLERATION OR THE SYSTEM WILL BE SLOW.

There are not many onboard solutions that have this. Only the latest ATI X200s and the new NVidia 6100 series.

It's not too hard to understand people...

I had an NForce 2 motherboard and had constant problems. I searched and found thousands of mentions of this before so I bought a cheap GF5200 and now everything is perfect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom