SKINS: Information for skin developers (2 Viewers)

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    IMDb+ scraper-script now supports multiple English based movie rating/certification systems.

This means any skin that uses images to show rating/certification will need to create additional images to compensate for this.

Australian rating (as per AU wikipedia article)

280px-Exempt_for_classification.png
    = E.PNG

200px-OFLC_large_G.svg.png
    = G.PNG

200px-OFLC_large_PG.svg.png
    = PG.PNG

200px-OFLC_large_M.svg.png
    = M.PNG

200px-OFLC_large_MA15%2B.svg.png
    = MA15.PNG (copy as MA15+.PNG)

200px-OFLC_large_R18%2B.svg.png
    = R18.PNG (copy as R18+.PNG)

200px-OFLC_large_X18%2B.svg.png
    = X18.PNG (copy as X18+.PNG)

There is also the rare RC.PNG​

New Zealand rating (as per NZ wikipedia article)

NZG.jpg
    = G.PNG

NZPG.jpg
    = PG.PNG

NZM.jpg
    = M.PNG

200px-OFLC_large_MA15%2B.svg.png
    = MA15.PNG (copy as MA15+.PNG)

NZ13.jpg
    = R13.PNG

NZ15.jpg
    = R15.PNG

NZ16.jpg
    = R16.PNG

NZ18.jpg
    = R18.PNG

NZR.jpg
    = R.PNG

There is also RP13.PNG and RP16.PNG

United Kingdom (as per UK wikipedia article)

50px-BBFC_U.svg.png
    = U.PNG

50px-BBFC_PG.svg.png
    = PG.PNG

50px-BBFC_12A.svg.png
    = 12A.PNG

50px-BBFC_12.svg.png
    = 12.PNG

50px-BBFC_15.svg.png
    = 15.PNG

50px-BBFC_18.svg.png
    = 18.PNG

50px-BBFC_R18.svg.png
    = R18.PNG

Canadian rating (as per CA wikipedia article)

They thankfully use pretty much the same images, so:

G.gif
    = G.PNG

PG.gif
    = PG.PNG

14A.gif
    = 14.PNG (copy as 14A.PNG)

18A.gif
    = 18.PNG (copy as 18A.PNG)

R.gif
    = R.PNG

a_white_background.gif
    = A.PNG (copy as AA.PNG)

Those French always have to do it a little bit different ;)

general.gif
    = G.PNG

c13.gif
    = 13.PNG (copy as 13+.PNG)

c16.gif
    = 16.PNG (copy as 16+.PNG)

c18.gif
    = 18.PNG (copy as 18+.PNG)

The problem is that there is a lot of overlap in the filenames, and of course only one can be used, so some creative artistic licence will need to be taken and at least re-use the MPAA ones for G.PNG and PG.PNG. There is no field in MovPic that allows me to store which rating system was used, so it is not like an extra label can be used to differentiate via folders, but I'm sure you artists can figure something out :cool:

ltfearme

Community Plugin Dev
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 10, 2007
    Sydney
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    We are also going to need to publish a global property #IMDb.Certification.Type or similar. This way skins can include all types without needing to overwrite e.g.

Code:
    <texture>Logos\Certification\[B]#IMDb.Certification.Type[/B]\#MovingPictures.SelectedMovie.certification.png</texture>

The property can simply be published on Init of plugin.

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    We are also going to need to publish a global property #IMDb.Certification.Type or similar. This way skins can include all types without needing to overwrite e.g.

That is an idea as well. However I was thinking of conflicts then with other scrapers that might have added an US/MPAA rating which would then be without an image (or show wrong one).

Still I think the average user is not going to mind if artistic licence is taken on the image, and that for example all the "PG" image look the same. When it comes down to it, the user will look for 'PG' and not so much the shape of the logo.

Color I guess does help as it allows for a quicker identification from afar, but looking at all the ratings they all seem to share the same colors for when there is overlap. All the "PG" ones are yellow and all the "G" ones are green for example.

Of course if you stripped the colors from the ratings as you have done so for example on StreamedMP for the MPAA-ratings, then I don't think it will be the end of the world if you make them all uni-tone in that aspect.

When it comes down to it, a British, Canadian, Australian and NewZealand user will understand the meaning of:

PG.png
    (StreamedMP logo for "PG")

If that is used for their country rating/certification as well. I guess the challenge then is to come up with fanarts sorta speak to create an alike picture for all the other ratings that are unique on that.

The American NC-17 image you use leaves plenty of room to photoshop replace the NC-17 text part for say "MA15+" and adjust the text on the right side to match what the general description stands for with the respective AU/UK/CA/NZ rating.

NC-17.png
    (StreamedMP logo for "NC-17")

Or expose the label, either way is fine with me :cool:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom