Skipped Frames in 1080 (1 Viewer)

dsmp

Portal Member
October 6, 2007
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
In previous versions, before RC1, I was able to play videos using 1080 with no skipping frames, but on RC3 and now on RC4 I noticed that on 720 (i and p) all videos works great, but if I move to 1080 (i or p) will skip video frames on many videos, audio is perfect.

Using other players will play on 1080 perfect consuming about 20-25% of CPU... using Media Portal will play 1080p for example skipping frames and consuming around 15-20% of CPU.

The videos I try to watch is not HD, is on standar DVD definition (480 or so).

I'm using Nvidia pure video decoder for audio and video, I tried other decoders and same issue or wors.

Checking the logs I see is failing to build some graphs, maybe somebody can give some ideas where is my problem, so far I see still is looking for some codecs that I've already removed, I'll try to clean the registry, etc. but that will not solve my problems.

Attached are the logs files.

Thanks in advance!

TV-Server Version: RC4
MediaPortal Version: RC4
MediaPortal Skin: PureVisionHD and Blue3 Wide
Windows Version: Windows XP 32bits SP3
CPU Type: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 2Ghz
HDD: Seagate 250+320
Memory: 3GB Dual channel 800Mhz
Motherboard: Biostar TF7050-M2
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 7050PV/nForce 630a
Video Card Driver: 15.24
Sound Card: Integrated nvidia/realtek HD
Sound Card AC3: coaxial out
Sound Card Driver:
MPEG2 Video Codec: NVIDIA Pure Video
MPEG2 Audio Codec:
h.264 Video Codec:
Satelite/CableTV Provider:
Remote: HP RC6
TV: Samsnug LN52A750
TV - HTPC Connection: HDMI

Taipan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    I'm using Nvidia pure video decoder for audio and video
    The Nvidia Pure Video decoder has a bug that prevents it from correctly recognising progressive video (720p and 1080p) and it tries to de-interlace, which causes skipping or jumping of progressive videos. Is this what you are seeing (I realise that you have tried other decoders, but you don't say which ones)?

Also, I am not sure that your GPU (NVIDIA GeForce 7050PV/nForce 630a) has enough grunt to decode 1080 video smoothly?

dsmp

Portal Member
    October 6, 2007
    Home Country
    Well, about the processing power of the box yes, it can handle pretty well 1080, including without Pure Video, with the latest versions of MediaPortal 0.2.x it was working fine, basically any standard decoder like includes in Media Portal, Pure Video and FFDshow.

About the problem with the interlace of Pure Video, I notices some time using Windows Media Player with Pure Video that plays well but the video looks like interlaced or somthing (on 1080).

Anyway if I use 1080i is the same problem with media portal, not with other players, in the worse case CPU is around 25% on 1080.

The better example is playing the showcase video downloaded from microsoft..(WMV HD Content Showcase) using WMP on 1080 p or i plays perfect and low cpu use, with Mediaportal on 1080 p or i, videos skip frames all the time regardless of the codec in use,(lower cpu usage).

Taipan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    The better example is playing the showcase video downloaded from microsoft..(WMV HD Content Showcase) .
    These videos are not MPEG-2, so the video decoder that you select in MediaPortal will not be used at all.

Since these videos are Windows WMV, then the built-in Windows decoder (WMVideo decoder DMO) will be used. Do you have WMV acceleration selected in your Nvidia video driver?

dsmp

Portal Member
    October 6, 2007
    Home Country
    Yes, you right, this are WMV, but I did ot expressed correctly, my intention was to say that 1080 problems are only when I use MP, having the same issue with MPEG or WMV only if I use MP to play it.

I'm using MP as HTPC only with the remote commander, not keyboard or mouse.

Checking for the WMV acceleration, I don't see it on the nvidia control panel (on advanced mode), nor on the Directshow filter control for NVIDIA pure video (mediaportal config).. I'm missing something?

Other thing to note is that 1080 as I said was working good before. I reinstalled media portal more than 50 times, many times during the era of nightly builds, maybe I need to reinstall a clean copy of Windows...

Thanks for your patience!
    Denis.

I did some changes on nvidia settings, tested MP and still skiping frames, installed dvbdream and open the video and no skip but when I use nvidia decoder, cpu is raising little bit over 50%, no skip frames...I changed to Intervideo and no skip frames but only 11% to 22% of cpu, oscilating around 15%...Interesting is dvbdream shows that video playing at 58 fps..
    Changed MP to intervideo and now play without skip frames and cpu aroud 18%.

I did other change, I installed the latest core.dll from today to fix music video player.

So, you right, purevideo is not working properly, but it was before...

The quality of the video was not as good as nvidia decoder,, but I changed other setting on nvidia control panel and video is better now with intervideo, I'll do other tests later.

Thanks for all you comments,
    Thanks!

dsmp

Portal Member
    October 6, 2007
    Home Country
    Good News!! Well, I have working the nvidia decoder on MP, the problem is on the directshow config for nvidia pure video, if I check use hardware acceleration, most videos on 1080 will skip frames using MP.. if I uncheck it, then works fine using less CPU..
    The problem then is every time I open MP configuration the hardware acceleration is checked back on.. so every time I need to change something in the configuration I have to be sure that hardware acceleration check box is unchecked.
    Other problem is every time I restart the computer, the skipping frame comes back..so I have to open MP configuration, and uncheck, etc.

So, now I'm not sure if MP configuratin is reading/saving properly the hardware acceleration value...or just that for some reason some bugs in the hardware when I use acceleration fails... In any case, I think, MP need to keep the setting...

Taipan, please, can you tell me something about this?
    Thanks in advance!:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom