Slow channel change compared to 7MC (1 Viewer)

bushbrother

Portal Pro
February 14, 2008
UK
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi All,

I have been a MP user now for about 1 year and am very happy with it. I do note that when first starting live TV it takes about 6-7 seconds to display anything, then when changing channels about 4 seconds. This did not bother me too much and presumed it was my TV card.

Recently out of interest I tested out 7MC to see what it looked like now, I was quite surprised to see that it starts TV in about 2 seconds and the channel change is almost instant, as in sub 1 second. This made me wonder why MP was so slow. Is there any way to diagnose this? I cannot see any errors in the logs (will post them when I am home).

I do remember seeing a SVN item saying that channel switching was improved, was this in 1.1? System specs below: :D

MediaPortal Version: 1.0.2.0
MediaPortal Skin: StreamedMP
Windows Version: Windows 7 Ultimate x64
CPU Type: AMD 5050e
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H 780G
Video Card: ATI HD3200 Integrated
1. TV Card: Pinnacle 7010ix
1. TV Card Type: DVB-S & DVB-T
MPEG2 Video Codec: PowerDVD9 SD Codec
MPEG2 Audio Codec: FFDShow Audio Decoder
h.264 Video Codec: PowerDVD9 H.264 Codec

porky996t

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 21, 2008
    Bolton, Lancashire, England
    Home Country
    England England
    Hi,

I'm running the same motherboard as you but with the Athlon X2 6000 @ 3Ghz, but use XP.

I have tried 2 TV cards and it changes pretty much instantly using the remote control, but for the first two seconds the picture is in "slow motion". It doesn't bother me though as the sound is great!

bushbrother

Portal Pro
    February 14, 2008
    UK
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi,

I'm running the same motherboard as you but with the Athlon X2 6000 @ 3Ghz, but use XP.

I have tried 2 TV cards and it changes pretty much instantly using the remote control, but for the first two seconds the picture is in "slow motion". It doesn't bother me though as the sound is great!

Thanks for the reply. Seems its an issue with my setup somewhere then. I also get the "slow-mo" 2 second thing, thats no issue for me either, but the channel change time is a little annoying, especially as I have seen it can be acheived in 7MC, so I know its not my TV Card.

oeb

Portal Member
    April 6, 2007
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Good to hear that MP TV is not supposed to be so slow. My speed is about the same as bushbrother has experienced. I assume it must be related to my codecs.

porky996t: What is your codec setup?

MightyPolo

Portal Pro
    October 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Czech Republic Czech Republic
    Hi iam also having this kind of problem, and i though it was caused by tv card. Happy to know that its not.
    But dont know how to fixit neither. I got both, slow channel changing (3-4s) and then 1sec slow moution.

Please let me know if you fixit.
    P.

Ken4000

Portal Member
    September 7, 2011
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Hi, okay I know this is an old thread. But anyhow, I had the same problem and found it was only slow when changing with my remote, not the keyboard. I have a Harmony One, and it has some settings for delay. After a little tweak, it's changing speed is 50% reduced.
    ...just want you to know. Maybe you have the same problem ;)

logifuse

Portal Pro
    January 19, 2011
    Sydney
    Home Country
    If you reduce the Zap Delay option (MP config - GUI>On Screen Display) it will trigger the change faster. Unless you need to enter large channel numbers, setting it to 0 will make it much faster (WMC like).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom