MPEG2 Audio Codec: NVIDIA
Satelite/CableTV Provider: SHAW
HTPC Case:
Cooling:
Power Supply:
Remote: WINDOWS MCE Remote
TV: 4:3
TV - HTPC Connection:RJ5

I am finding that when I have the TV ON and I go to browse the menus the navigation is VERY slow. Right now the easiest way to change channels is turn the tv off then navigate the menu then reselect the new channel. My card has dual tuners on it and if I am recording 2 shows or watching and recording different channels it is the same thing.

I am wondering what might be causing it. Things that I have thought of are:

My motherboard only supports 4x AGP

My Harddrive is only IDE not SATA or SATA2

Would either of these things make a difference...?

I cant think of anything else unless it is a setting somewhere that I have setup wrong?

Any help would be appreciated.

LT:D

mbuzina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 11, 2005
    Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Is your TV setup as secondary monitor? XP does not support HW Acceleration on the secondary monitor (long standing issue, check the forums). So no matter how strong your HW is, MP on the 2nd screen is always slow. Vista should improve, but I have not tested that.

Liquidtouch

Portal Pro
    February 25, 2007
    Victoria, BC Canada
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    As far as I know the TV is the primary out. When I VNC in and do the identify monitors I get a 1 on the TV. Is there a better way to check for this?

I am not super well versed in NVIDIA products I usually use ATI. I didn't go ATI on this one because NVIDIA has better linux support and I may switch to Mythtv.

Liquidtouch

Portal Pro
    February 25, 2007
    Victoria, BC Canada
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Solution

Thanks for the reply. I checked to make sure the TV was the primary display and it was. It was the only display I was using. Another problem I was having was the OS kept popping up an error message that I could not get rid of. Every time the message popped up it would prevent the TV signal from being displayed. To fix that problem I decided to do a reinstall of WIN XP and start from scratch. After reinstalling everything including the NVIDIA drivers everything worked smoothly. It also corrected a problem I was having with VNC.

My next problem is I just ordered a new motherboard with digital spdif in/out connectors and SATA support so looks like I will be doing yet another build. At least it is stable enough now for the wife to use and the WAF is going up....

:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom