Slow Motion, Frame by Frame (1 Viewer)

famewolf

Portal Pro
June 7, 2009
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
So if the devs are unwilling to provide this what about any of the alternatives..do they? Xbmc? Etc....

Nice try :D

I wasn't actually "TRYING" anything...smplayer on my linux box has no problem doing frame advance....mplayer supports it on my windows box's...if mediaportal dev's refuses to implement features that have been requested for YEARS then perhaps some of the other products would be more accommodating. Mediaportal was spun off from XBMC and works very similarly from what I understand so it was my first thought. *shrugs*

Additionally....since the new version of mediaportal is going to require a totally clean install of both itself and all plugins with the subsequent reconfiguring, now is the perfect time to look at the alternatives because the same amount of work is going to be involved and at least with the alternatives you can run the older mediaportal till you can get things configured like you want.

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    So if the devs are unwilling to provide this what about any of the alternatives..do they? Xbmc? Etc....

Nice try :D

I wasn't actually "TRYING" anything...smplayer on my linux box has no problem doing frame advance....mplayer supports it on my windows box's...if mediaportal dev's refuses to implement features that have been requested for YEARS then perhaps some of the other products would be more accommodating. Mediaportal was spun off from XBMC and works very similarly from what I understand so it was my first thought. *shrugs*

Additionally....since the new version of mediaportal is going to require a totally clean install of both itself and all plugins with the subsequent reconfiguring, now is the perfect time to look at the alternatives because the same amount of work is going to be involved and at least with the alternatives you can run the older mediaportal till you can get things configured like you want.

Feel free to try other software if frame stepping is important. Currently the development efforts have been used to much more useful things (like general increase in stability or video playback quality).

famewolf

Portal Pro
    June 7, 2009
    Home Country

Feel free to try other software if frame stepping is important. Currently the development efforts have been used to much more useful things (like general increase in stability or video playback quality).

Yes that seems to be the typical response given over the last year and a half and as soon as the new version of XMBC comes out I probably will try it. If the code was in pascal, rexx, mainframe cobol or bash shell script I'd just write the routine myself....the entire tv server can be rewritten but no one has time to code 20 lines to add a check for FF or RW while paused and increment or decrement the frame being displayed by 1. The logic to read comskip.txt and skip frames basically already does something similar.

Pseudocode:

While Paused
    Case ButtonPressed
    when "<" framecount = framecount -1 ; perform updatescreen
    when ">" framecount = framecount +1 ; perform updatescreen
    else ;;
    end case
    end while

And yes I know I butchered the syntax.

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    Yes that seems to be the typical response given over the last year and a half and as soon as the new version of XMBC comes out I probably will try it. If the code was in pascal, rexx, mainframe cobol or bash shell script I'd just write the routine myself....the entire tv server can be rewritten but no one has time to code 20 lines to add a check for FF or RW while paused and increment or decrement the frame being displayed by 1. The logic to read comskip.txt and skip frames basically already does something similar.

Pseudocode:

While Paused
    Case ButtonPressed
    when "<" framecount = framecount -1 ; perform updatescreen
    when ">" framecount = framecount +1 ; perform updatescreen
    else ;;
    end case
    end while

And yes I know I butchered the syntax.

If it was only 20 lines of code, believe me it would have been added already long time ago. Your example is almost like saying that EVR presenter handles the frame drawing by one single line of code. It just draws the video frame :)

Pascal doesn't differ that much from C++ and C#... so How to Write an EVR Presenter (Windows)

famewolf

Portal Pro
    June 7, 2009
    Home Country
    The existing skip forward 15 seconds or back 15 seconds probably already implements everything the process would need by multiplying the seconds by the frames per second (ex: 15 seconds for 24fps movie would be 360 frames forward or back)..theoretically it would as indicated in the pseudocode just need to check is currently paused and change to a 1 frame skip or back.....anyway maybe I'll look at the code....the sad thing is I recently was in discussion with some xbmc users regarding mediaportal here: SnapStream Forums - View Single Post - Beyond TV and XBMC Integration where the user stated "I've stuck with XBMC because I like how actively it is developed. I've been using it since I loaded it on my first gen XBOX 8 years ago and the evolution has been pretty amazing. I also like that they are adding more and more hardware acceleration support. I also like that I can submit a feature request and one of the devs usually has it in a nightly build within a few weeks"....and this is case in point why I couldn't say mediaportal was the same.

Oh...for those thinking about using MPC-HC as your external player......I believe it would give you the frame advance.

famewolf

Portal Pro
    June 7, 2009
    Home Country
    The use is obvious for sports fans or the folks who want to oggle the cheerleaders. My usage is I want to be able to pop the dvd's in with vid's from trips we've taken and be able to pause them..use the frame advance to find the perfect frame then hit print screen to snap a "photo" from the vid that could be sent to the photo printer....all that could be done without ever leaving mediaportal instead of the convoluted process now.

Ventry

Portal Pro
    August 19, 2009
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    +18
    Went looking for this the other day and was gobsmacked that it wasn't there.
    Frame by frame I mean.

Eabin

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 18, 2006
    If it was only 20 lines of code, believe me it would have been added already long time ago. Your example is almost like saying that EVR presenter handles the frame drawing by one single line of code. It just draws the video frame :)

Pascal doesn't differ that much from C++ and C#... so How to Write an EVR Presenter (Windows)

well, it didn't even take _all_ of the spare time i had back in that summer. but i'm glad to see that the documentation hasn't improved one bit since then :)

on a more related matter: the skip steps do something similar, but unfortunately the code cannot be used to jump to a specific frame, only to a frame that is near a specific time (so you would sometimes skip no frame, and sometimes more than one, depending on a number of things)

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    In general I personaly dont see any point in trying to add step by frame support until the playback itself is perfect. And it currently isnt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom