Slow music/tv overlay + wheres video overlay (1 Viewer)

htpcNoob

Portal Pro
January 23, 2005
Hello. Ive been out of the scene for a while but thought id bring up some issues. I am always using the latest CVS versions and lately it seems that the music thumbnail display slows down mp quiet a bit especially if an album art is present. I use a remote (winlirc) to control winamp and scrolling thru the menus is ok fast. However, when i select to play a song the music overlay lags the navigation quiet a bit. This is more apparent with BlueTwo skin than MCE (i use the latter for now). If however a thumbnail of the album doesnt exist, scrolling isnt that slow.

Another issue is the missing "Overlay" under video renderer for tv/movie/dvd. Like ive said, Ive b een out of the scene for a while and was wondering whether it was removed or not. I still prefer Overlay over the others (especially for tv) for 2 reasons: 1) Colors are better, 2) My video card is a Radeon 9000 Pro AGP (non-dx9, but dxva supported).

On a totally different note, for the sake of optimization is there any specific plan for releasing SSE optimized builds of MP?

Joop

Portal Member
December 31, 2004
htpcNoob said:
Another issue is the missing "Overlay" under video renderer for tv/movie/dvd. Like ive said, Ive b een out of the scene for a while and was wondering whether it was removed or not. I still prefer Overlay over the others (especially for tv) for 2 reasons: 1) Colors are better, 2) My video card is a Radeon 9000 Pro AGP (non-dx9, but dxva supported).
I have a third reason:
With overlay I can watch tv/dvd using mediaportal on my TFT while my wife/kids enjoy a fullscreen view on the TV in the living room. If I don't want to watch I can move it almost off screen or to the background and they still can enjoy themselves.

I have just setup RC2 and using VMR9 noticed that it is sluggish and not synced when using fullscreen TV.
So newer technology is not always better. Give me back Overlay as an option. I'm currently going to try and find what happened to it by going through CVS sources.
Sofar it looks like it is only gone from Configuration.
As a side note, generally I know what I'm talking about since in daily life I'm a systemsadmin/programmer in de widest sense ;-)

Joop

scoop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 14, 2004
    Hi,

AFAIK VMR7 == Overlay.

Kind regards,
    Michel

P.S.: being a sysadmin doesn't neccessarily mean you know what you're talking about. I've been one too and I hardly know what I'm talking about... ;)

Joop

Portal Member
    December 31, 2004
    scoop said:
    Hi,

AFAIK VMR7 == Overlay.
    Thanks, will try that as soon as the kids stop watching Barbapapa ;)
    P.S.: being a sysadmin doesn't neccessarily mean you know what you're talking about. I've been one too and I hardly know what I'm talking about... ;)
    Ah, but I didn't mention what I do during the day and in my sparetime. Trust me I think I have seen most things come by in the 20 years that I have spent with computers in my life.

Joop

htpcNoob

Portal Pro
    January 23, 2005
    scoop said:
    AFAIK VMR7 == Overlay.

Actually No. VMR7 is newer technology created by ms to overcome the limitations of Overlay but it did a p*ss poor job at it. VMR9 is a vast improvement over VMR7 and overlay as well. VMR9 being newer technology requires newer video cards. Overlay on the other hand is 100% compatible with all (yes all) video cards that have windows drivers.

On a totally different note: This is my 100th post. YAY!!!! 8) 8) 8)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom