Slow play/stop using Synology NAS shared movies (1 Viewer)

Spaldo

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 7, 2008
    FlashFXP Development Team
    Home Country
    Hi, I have noticed that using my Synology NAS with movies is sometimes slow to play/stop movies in Moving Pictures. I don't get this behaviour using TVSeries plugin.

Has anyone had this problem? or any ideas?

NB. The Synology NAS is connected via LAN cable and is generally very fast (60+ MB/s). It has low CPU usage and lots of free RAM. Uses a windows shared file service.

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    More then likely it relates to thumbnail generation of MediaPortal (can be disabled in config), or MediaInfo (update 32-bit DDL, or disable process).

When that happens concurrently to playback, it will result in delays/stutter/etc.

Spaldo

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 7, 2008
    Home Country
    The scrolling in the menus are fine. It is just at the start and stop of play (ie. Can take 5 seconds to start playing or 5 seconds when you press stop to stop). During play I cannot notice any issues.

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    MediaPortal will use MediaInfo to find out the 'fps' values and other things, so it can use them for the feature to adjust your monitor Hz frequency to match. MediaInfo will then use the same splitter/codec as the playback of the media itself. LAV, the default codec for MediaPortal, is not concurrent friendly, which then causes locks to occur. Even on a super fast system this will cause stutter/delay/etc, and it only happens when concurrent access is happening, as in right at the start.

You can switch to a concurrent codec, such as the original stand-alone MPC-HE ones, or adjust your methods so that no concurrent access occurs to begin with. It is less of an issue when MediaPortal and the mediafile itself are on SSD with high IOPS, but that is never the case on most DAS/NAS solutions due to the protocol overhead from for example Samba.

Spaldo

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 7, 2008
    Home Country
    Hi RoChess, thanks for the replies. Makes sense why it is doing it on play. Not sure why it is taking 5-10 seconds to stop though. It is strange that Moving Pictures does it and TVSeries doesn't..

or adjust your methods so that no concurrent access occurs to begin with.

What do you mean by that?

I got a new HDD so I will reinstall Windows/MP anyway and might use one of the other codecs while I am at it.

Spaldo

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 7, 2008
    Home Country
    I just noticed that TVSeries actually gets the file info while it is importing and stores into the database. Saving it doing it every time like Moving Pictures appears to do.

Would it be an idea to make Moving Pictures store this info in the database as well and stop this problem?

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    Moving-Pictures does it on import as well.

MediaPortal does it on playback, outside of the control of Moving-Pictures who hands over playback control to MePo.

Spaldo

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 7, 2008
    Home Country
    Ah ok. Strange that TVSeries doesn't have the issue.

In any event, thanks for the replies. I have just finished the new install and I am tweaking it. So I will let you know how it goes.

In regards to the "You can switch to a concurrent codec, such as the original stand-alone MPC-HE ones" you mentioned, where do I get them from?

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    http://mpc-hc.org/downloads/

You have to manually register the AX files into your system, instructions are in the readme.txt file, or you can search this forum for some old posts I've made explaining in detail which files to register and how to do so.

Spaldo

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 7, 2008
    Home Country

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom