slow tv-guide – reducing channel count (1 Viewer)

Xmd5a

Portal Member
January 24, 2007
Hello,

is there a way to completely disable some channels in tv-guide in order to reduce the cpu load? Since i updatet from MP1.2 to 1.5 my 10 years old Athon XP has trouble to show all channels in tv-guide. If the TV-Server is running and tv-guide is started, tv-playback begins to stutter and in most cases MP freezes. With disables tv i have a cpu usage of over 90% in tv-guide.

thanks in advance

WindowsXP, MP1.5, default skin, WebEPG, MS-SQL
CPU: AthlonXP 2800+
MB: A7n8X-E
VideoCard: ATI Mobility Radeon 9600
TV-Card: Hauppauge WinTV Nova t-500 (twin DVB-T)

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    First, you know that XP is no longer officially supported in MP 1.5, right?

How many channels do you have?
    Do you have the same problem viewing the mini-guide?

Xmd5a

Portal Member
    January 24, 2007
    Thanks for reply

Yes i know. But as long there is no hardware upgrade in sight i must deal with xp.
    Channel count is about 45 but i dont need EPG for all channels. I have already disabled EGP for channels i dont watch. But they are still shown in tv-guide with entry "keine Programminformationen verfügbar" ("no channel information").
    Same problem in mini-guide.

Edit:
    if i scroll down that only channels without channel information are shown the cpu load is much lower (15%). Maybe a database and no render issue?

Last edited:

Xmd5a

Portal Member
    January 24, 2007
    I have tried some other things and noticed strange behavior. If channels 1-9 in tv-guide are shown, the cpu usage is about 95%. If i scroll down one step to view channels 2-10 the cpu load is only 10-15%. The same happens when channels 12-20 are visible (95% load). At all other scroll positions cpu usage is normal. At theese tests channels 1-15 and 19 were provided with EPG data.
    There are about 5GB free space on systemdrive.

logfile 1:
    - start Mediaportal
    - select tv-guide
    - scroll up and down

logfile 2:
    - start Mediaportal
    - select tv
    - select tv-guide
    - scroll up and down

Last edited:

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    5 GB is not very much space - especially if you are using the system drive for timeshifting.
    However, I see continuity errors in your TsWriter log file, and I suspect they are indicating that your HDD is getting thrashed.

Are you running some sort of real-time scanner (anti-virus, anti-spyware etc.) like Windows Defender or Microsoft Security Essentials?
    Please use task manager to check which processes are using the CPU.

Xmd5a

Portal Member
    January 24, 2007
    The continuity erros were probably caused by poor reception with the indoor antenna. CPU load comes from MediaPortal process itself. Scanners and background processes are already deactivated for testing purposes.

I wonder why the high CPU load occurs only at certain scroll positions in tv-guide. Like i said before, there are some positions at which the problem not exists, even if the visible channels are all provided with programm information.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I think I can confirm that CPU use in the TV guide is higher than when in TV home, but I can't confirm 95% CPU use at certain positions.
    In TV home, my 1st gen Core 2 e6600 2.4 GHz CPU sits at between 2 and 5%.
    In the TV guide that jumps to 7 .. 10%.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom