"Sluggish" picture with VMR9 (1 Viewer)

MungoBBQ

Portal Member
January 21, 2005
Since upgrading to 0.1.3.0 (I am now running beta of 0.2.0.0) I have noticed that Overlay is no longer working properly under "My TV". If I try to use Overlay I have an extremely choppy picture, so I have switched to VMR9 Renderless, which gives me a smooth framerate.

However, I have noticed that when I'm using VMR9 to view TV or videos, the picture is kind of "sluggish". I don't have a good way to describe it, but it's like the picture is lagging ever so slightly and blurring between frames. It's not like I have dropped frames, it's more like every other or third frame has a "motion blur" filter on it. It's quite weird, and even though it's watchable, it's annoying, especially when watching soccer. :)

Does anybody recognize what I am talking about and is there a cure for this disease?

Attaching my sysinfo:

Area: My TV
MP Version: 0.2.0.0
Skin: mce
Windows Version: Windows XP Pro SP2
CPU Type: Intel P3 1.13 GHz
Memory: 512 MB SDRAM
Motherboard Chipset: Dell optiplex
Video Card: Nvidia Geforce4 MX4000
Video Card Driver: 77.72
Video Render Type: VMR9 Renderless
Video Codec Type & Version: InterVideo NonCSS Video Decoder for Hauppage
Audio Codec Type & Version: InterVideo NonCSS Audio Decoder for Hauppage
TV Card: Hauppage WinTV-PVR-150MCE l.p.
TV Card Type: hardware
TV Card Driver: 2.0.18.22280

/M;

R

rtbrjason

I would think it is an issue with the video card. I had similar issues with a 4mx that were solved when updgrading to an FX-5200.

MungoBBQ

Portal Member
January 21, 2005
rtbrjason said:
I would think it is an issue with the video card. I had similar issues with a 4mx that were solved when updgrading to an FX-5200.

Well, that could be, but the thing is that it worked perfectly with 0.1.2.0 - exactly the same hardware. All I want to know is why performance was so much worse after I upgraded to 0.1.3.0

S

Stargazer

I have noticed the same thing. For me, using overlay would be a constant sluggishness about the videos I play, but switching to VMR 9 rendering I get a different kind of sluggishness. Playback would pause all of a sudden (sound still going) and the screen would stay frozen for 15 seconds. Then the screen would start moving again and try to catch up with the audio. Rinse and repeat.

I tried all manner of combinations with video codec and renderer and I get exactly the same thing. The codec I select makes no difference, it's all in the renderer. However, this stuttering only occurs on some of the video files I have.

One thing I did try (and this sort of did fix the problem) is the aspect ratio. I've always had the aspect ratio on zoom because I play everything on a 16:9 TV. But when i changed it to original, the stuttering stopped completely for every file I played. However, the price of this is all the videos now have a thick (3-5 inches) black border around them.

I know it's not a hardware issue. I've set MP now to use BSplayer as the external player for videos. I'm still playing around with getting the right aspect ratio for my TV, but there have been no freezes whatsoever under bsplayer.

spoco2

Portal Member
March 6, 2006
I think this post sums up what a lot of people are experiencing with MP now...

I'm new to MP, but not new to having a Media PC... I've been running a media pc for years now using myhtpc. Unfortunately it's no longer supported or developed as it's become the paid product 'Meedio'. So I've been trying MP.

Now, I think it's unreasonable to make the minimum spec machine for just WATCHING VIDEO be a Directx 9 card. I've been using a Geforce4MX 440 in this machine with not a problem for watching all the DIVX/XVID DVDs etc that I've wanted to in my previous setup. Also, speed wize, I have no issue with MP using the VMR7 mode, it works fine too.

But when you move to DirectX9 it tears and is just unpleasant to watch, even though watching the exact same video through Media Player or any other video player causes no issue at all.

Surely there are ways to render the controls on screen without causing huge slow downs? I've tried the exclusive mode, which removes the tearing, but adds huge waits before any video loads, making the whole interface seem sluggish and poor.

Actually, I have a couple of second wait between pushing the button to select 'My Video' etc. and something actually happening...

I'm just at a loss as to where the delays and slowdowns are coming from and why it's deemed OK to need a directx 9 graphics card in what for a lot of us is a machine built up from left overs from our main pcs.

We need the expensive cards to play games... surely not to play videos!

Callifo

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 7, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Home Country
    With the other requirements in place, I so no problem with the graphics card requirements as hell, a cheap DX9 card costs a lot less than the massive hdds people seem to buy for a HTPC. A 5200 can be had very cheaply, and the same goes for a DX8 card (9200 for example). A GF4MX wont handle the task as this card was never a prime card even in its day (DX7). A GF4 4200 or higher does DX8 and they are definately not expensive (DX8 will suffice but you will see slightly higher cpu usage, maybe ~5% on a fast PC).

We need the expensive cards to play games... surely not to play videos!

Not sure what you consider expensive as a my HTPC card is worth like $80 at the moment (6200, so I could have even gone $30 cheaper for a 5200), vs $500 odd for my last gaming gpu.

spoco2

Portal Member
    March 6, 2006
    I understand DX9 cards are quite cheap at the moment, but I don't want to spend extra money on a component I don't believe I have to. Sure, I just spent money on the funky case and the large hard drive, but they both give benefits (more room to store things, and visual appeal/cooler/quieter). Seeing as the video card was previously up to the task, and still is completely up to being able to play back video without any issue... I just don't get why it's such a performance hit to have the overlaid displays on top.

Still... other than the tearing, everything seems to be fine with the DX9 mode, and if your suggestion of forcing vsync works, then it might well be a winner.

Other than the general sluggish response from menu selections I am very happy with MP, it's polished, has a great look and feel, and is nice to use.

If I can crack:
    * The tearing
    * The sluggish menu response
    * Shutting down to 'Hibernate' not closing MP first (what a ridiculous feature)

Then I'll be a happy MP user! :D

BTW, thanks for answering all my posts Callifo, I see we share a country and a case (well, yours is the case with the VU meter, but otherwise the same!)

M1CRO

Portal Member
    December 7, 2005
    I think this post sums up what a lot of people are experiencing with MP now...

Guys i'd just like to say, Ive had extensive use with other media software including the recent mce 2005,J river media and meedio and I am a delighted user of MP... Thats not to say i havent had my share or little issues just like many of you have..

I built a system from an old pcchips 810lmr mobo with 1 gig ram and a 9600xt gfx card with an athlon 1700xp+ cpu and apart from the slight lag with the main menu I have been able to iron out most if not all of the little annoyances thats came my way with this software...
    This has took me just over 3 months.

I know like you all do that MP is not perfect yet,but its damn close to being a valid alternative to the options that are on the market...

I think thats a target that the MP crew and users should be proud of.

Hey spoco2 I noticed your spec is Duron 1.1GHz, 256Mb RAM...you'd probably notice an improvement if you increased the spec a little mate....
    I found that all media software seems to struggle with less than 1.3Ghz and 512meg ram.

spoco2

Portal Member
    March 6, 2006
    Hey Micro,

I agree that this is a supurb bit of open source software... I mean this thing is free, and wonderful... I have no issue with that side of things.

I'm just trying to narrow down where the real performance issue is.

I found that all media software seems to struggle with less than 1.3Ghz and 512meg ram.

I know the box is a little slow etc. However it was running everything without an issue with the old myhtpc. That may not have all the bells and whistles that MP does, but it did show that a nice interface could be put on top of my media collection and everything would work fine and be nice to use.

However, since rebuilding this box I can't for the life of me get the remote working with myhtpc anymore, and it was really starting to look a bit long in the tooth anyway.

So, I came over to Media Portal, love the way it looks and operates, but was just suprised at the suggested specs for just video playback. I can understand a bit of horsepower is required for PVR functionality and HD playback, but I'm not after those.

Also... I don't have the funds for any more upgrades to this box!

So... I've started a thread for the collection of tips and tweaks people may have from a software/settings point of view to try and glean how to eek out a fine running Media box with lowly specs like mine. I'm convinced it can be done and will post all my findings if I get my one running smoothly.

:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom