Small errors on fonts (letters i and n) (1 Viewer)

havocthief

Portal Member
November 27, 2005
I am getting small white "specks" at the bottom right of the letter "i" and a speck at the top left of the letter "n".

Is this a heard of fault; if not is it possible to install a different font in to Mediaportal - changing the skin does not work as the font is the same.

Also... is there an option to reduce the size of the textin the video/music listing, as most movie titles are too long for the given size and I think smaller text would be better.

Marcusb

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 16, 2005
    Melbourne
    try this :http://nolanparty.com/mediaportal.sourceforge.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=11791&highlight=

Like I say in that thread, I take no responsibility but I think it may solve your problems.

To change the size, I can't remember exactly, but I think the global font size is stored in a general XML in your skin directory.
    To change only those two sizes you mention, then you have to edit the font size in "Mymovies'xml" and "mymusic.xml" but be aware that it may not be that simple. Once you change the font size, you may need to adjust the position. These things kind of have a snow ball effect :)

Cheers,

Marcus.

havocthief

Portal Member
    November 27, 2005
    Deleting the fonts in the skins folder has not succeeded, unfortunately.

There are still little white specks.

Spragleknas

• Team MediaPortal
  • December 21, 2005
    Located
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Ye... VERY annoying.
    I belive this could be fixed by replacing the "fonts" folder;

??:\???\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\fonts

Anybody have a working folder we can replace it with?

jawbroken

Portal Pro
    August 13, 2005
    Home Country
    Afghanistan Afghanistan
    I don't think replacing the fonts folder will fix this problem. I would guess (though I can't be sure) that this is a result of the font files using one large PNG and only rendering sections of it. When combined with a resize, DirectX might be smoothing using the whole texture and thus causing some of the adjacent letters to bleed in.

This is just a guess, but this is the same sort of behaviour I used to see when writing games/etc in DirectX and OpenGL.

Edit: I also have this problem, but it is not really bothering me.

bigj

Portal Pro
    January 10, 2005
    jawbroken said:
    DirectX might be smoothing using the whole texture and thus causing some of the adjacent letters to bleed in.

Yes, almost certainly bilinear filtering is enabled and with texture-packing it is sampling from the characters surrounding. When packing, the code should add N surrounding blank (alpha=0x0) texels. Eg a 16x16 char might actually take 18x18 in the packed art.

Additionally, the RGB channels should be dilated - this means the RGB texels just around (inside) the alpha mask are repeated *outside* of the mask, so that blending always blends to the right (same) colour, NOT black. For the fonts it seems the RGB is always one colour (white) so this isn't an issue for the fonts. But for the skins packed graphics I see that if bilinear is used that artifacts (colour bleeding from surrounding graphics) will occur.
    This might be fudged by adjusting UVs inwards slightly, but the correct solution is to add say 2pixel surrounding blanks and dilate RGBs....

HTH,
    BigJ.

Spragleknas

• Team MediaPortal
  • December 21, 2005
    Located
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Wow, dude..... That gave me nothing.... except a feeling that you realy know what your talking about.

Could you tell me, in a understandeble way, how I/we can fix this bug?

jawbroken

Portal Pro
    August 13, 2005
    Home Country
    Afghanistan Afghanistan
    The short answer is you can't really.

The long answer is that you could probably edit all the font files by hand (or perhaps with the program used to generate them in the first place) to space them out so they don't bleed into one another, but it would be a lot of effort.

tklon

Portal Pro
    September 3, 2004
    Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom