Small form factor MB with enough power to play HDtv (1 Viewer)

BeLLe

Portal Pro
August 13, 2008
Right now my HTPC have a Point Of View - ION330 mainboad but i can't get it play HD Live tv with Mediaportal. (it works fine in WMC) Have tried for +6 months without any luck and read more than once in here that the Intel Atom 330/dualcore 1,6GHz just isn't enough to do HDtv with MP

So Now I'm looking for another mainboard for my HTPC and then this will act as TV server in the future.
But what to get? It have to be small form factor or else it wont fit in the cabinet and need to be powerfull enough to play everything smoothly

Also - What brand of SSD should I get for it?

all suggestions are welcome :D

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi BeLLe

If you've tried for 6+ months then I'm sure you would have confirmed that you're using the ION for hardware accelerated video decoding.
    A mini ITX board from Zotac with your choice of Intel/AMD CPU should work...

mm

BeLLe

Portal Pro
    August 13, 2008
    I've tried every codec I could get my hands on with dxva or cuda support but nothing have worked.
    I'll have a look at the Zotac boards

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I've tried every codec I could get my hands on with dxva or cuda support but nothing have worked
    What were the symptoms?
    - no video (black screen)
    - jerky video
    - video corruption/pixelation
    - ???

BeLLe

Portal Pro
    August 13, 2008
    I've tried every codec I could get my hands on with dxva or cuda support but nothing have worked
    What were the symptoms?
    - no video (black screen)
    - jerky video
    - video corruption/pixelation
    - ???

Video have never been a problem - Only live TV. sometimes even SDTV but that very rare
    I'm running MP in single seat with win7 in 720p resolution and My TV tuner is a HDHomerun.
    Depending on the codec chosen I had all of the above problems with HDTV.

Stuttering, black screen with audio, picture freeze, pixelation, video in slowmotion.

tried to reinstall lost of times but it's the same every time.
    Only thing i haven't tried is to change the HDD which is a 1. generation SSD but I'm planning to do that along with the MB

unless someone can show me how to get this to work ...

rspierenburg

Portal Pro
    June 18, 2010
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    BeLLe,

I had that problem as well with the Hauppauge 950 I had. Turns out it wasn't the decoding that was slowing things down it was the Software 'encoders' that was causing the issues. I've since upgraded to the Hauppauge 1950 with a builtin hardware encoder, this allowed the CPU to do the MP processing and the GPU to do the decoding.

Might be something to look into.

Rob

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi again BeLLe

Do you think you could post logs? Its really easy if you use the watchdog. Just read the instructions in the link (-->here<--) and use the first option (report bug). When MP starts, just try to view TV. Any problems will be recorded in the logs. After about 30 seconds close MP, and the watchdog will create a zip file for you to upload here.

mm
    :)

BeLLe

Portal Pro
    August 13, 2008
    Thanks for take the time to look at my problem.

I attached the logs. It actually acted somewhat nice when everything was disabled in debug mode although there still was major framedrops.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom