[solved] [solved by driver update of PCTV 461e] "Continuity error..." after updating from Windows 10 1909 to 20H2 (1 Viewer)

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    For USB, as far as I understand it, it needs USB interrupt mode which means that the system has to poll the TV card. If this polling is not fast enough, data is dropped because an overrunning buffer inside the TV card.
    I think that you probably know more about this than I do. :unsure:

I am sorry that I have not been able to be of much help. :(
    I hope that you can find a solution. :)

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

Andy_2639

Portal Member
    February 25, 2017
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I am sorry that I have not been able to be of much help. :(

Nevertheless, I appreciate your time and effort (y) Thank you!

The theory about the vanished continuity errors with the PCIe card was that the communication is differently. For USB, as far as I understand it, it needs USB interrupt mode which means that the system has to poll the TV card. If this polling is not fast enough, data is dropped because an overrunning buffer inside the TV card.

I have to correct myself: for realtime streaming, USB should use the Isochronous transfers mode ... USB - Wikipedia
    As far as I understand USB (up to 2.0), a USB device must not start talking by itself bust has to wait to be requested by the host and then can send a reply. So it needs constant polling for the TV card (or keyboard, mouse, although they should use the interrupt mode).

I tested with the current Intel HD Graphics Driver 15.40.47.5166 (from 2020-10-23): same results with the continuity errors on H.264 programs. MPEG2 programs couldn't be tested because of MediaPortal crash (and restart) on LiveTV after Windows Update (Sep 2020) driver update for Intel HD Graphics 4600

I also installed the Intel Microcode Update Microsoft provides: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4589212/intel-microcode-updates - no change.
    Disabling Spectre mitigations also didn't help (on an earlier Windows 10 version, I got worse continuity errors after installing the microcode update for spectre and disabling the mitigation in Windows helped).

Also using a USB 2.0 USB port instead of an 3.x USB port didn't change anything.

Btw:
    • TV card: PCTV DVB-S2 Stick (461e)
    • Mainboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 7
    • CPU and graphics adapter: Intel Core i7-4785T

Andy_2639

Portal Member
    February 25, 2017
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I just bought a Digital Devices Cine S2 V7A and the "Continuity errors" when recording and watching on the computer at the same time disappeared. Just the messages when EPG grapping stops are still present.

So, the problem is solved for me - but I kinda refuse to mark this thread as solved because the underlying software problem still exists ...

Andy_2639

Portal Member
    February 25, 2017
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I just found this:

On the German page of the PCTV application (only on the German page and not on the driver pages :rolleyes:):
    TVC 6.4.8 Download (pctvsystems.com)
    Ruckelnde TV-Wiedergabe unter Windows 10 2004 oder später
    Installieren Sie diesen Treiber für PCTV 461e, um das Problem zu beheben: wintv-solo_dual_quadhd_5_2020_0406_38125.exe

My English translation:
    Jerking TV play with Windows 10 2004 or later
    Install this driver for PCTV 461e to remedy the problem: wintv-solo_dual_quadhd_5_2020_0406_38125.exe

I didn't test it because I already switched to another TV card (so I found this piece of information to late) but maybe this can help others ...

Edit: Out of curiosity, I just tested the new driver: works without problems.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom