[SOLVED] How to install a second Hauppauge Colossus card? (1 Viewer)

stephenv

Portal Member
December 31, 2013
Home Country
Canada Canada
I had one Hauppauge Colossus card installed in my MediaPortal TV server and got it working fine. I have seen postings from people who were using two of these so I decided to add a second card. When I did this the second card became active but the first card does not show up in the Device Manager or in the TV-Server Configuration tool.

What is the trick to get the second card working too?

Regards,

Stephen

Last edited:

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello Stephen

When I did this the second card became active but the first card does not show up in the Device Manager...
    This indicates a hardware, Windows or driver limitation. TV Server won't detect a second Colossus unless Windows can detect it. There's no trick that I'm aware of. In other words, it should just work.

What motherboard are you using?
    What version of the Colossus driver are you using?

mm

stephenv

Portal Member
    December 31, 2013
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    The driver is 1.6.30314.0 (11/9/2012)

I'm using an ASUS H87M-E motherboard which has four PCIe slots (3 are 1x and one is 16x).

The other curious thing is that un the device manager, under Sound, video and game controllers it shows:

- Colossus Capture Device
    - Colossus Encoder Device

so perhaps something went wrong during the install and it didn't install a capture device for both?

Perhaps I should uninstall both cards and try again?[DOUBLEPOST=1388969463][/DOUBLEPOST]It looks like Hauppauge has a newer driver version available for download, I'll give that a try.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    The driver is 1.6.30314.0 (11/9/2012)

I'm using an ASUS H87M-E motherboard which has four PCIe slots (3 are 1x and one is 16x).
    Okay. Driver update is recommended. I was wondering if the motherboard had some kind of arrangement for PCIe lane sharing. Had a quick read of the manual but nothing stands out.

The other curious thing is that un the device manager, under Sound, video and game controllers it shows:

- Colossus Capture Device

so perhaps something went wrong during the install and it didn't install a capture device for both?
    That does seem a bit odd. Unfortunately I've never owned or used an HD-PVR or Colossus so I can't compare/contrast. It would be interesting to see what shows if you remove one card.

Perhaps I should uninstall both cards and try again?
    Yeah, what I'd do is:
    1. Update to the latest driver. If that doesn't help...
    2. Remove and completely reinstall the driver. If that doesn't help...
    3. Physically remove one card and see what shows in device manager, then add the other card back in and see what shows.
    4. Finally, you could also try using a different slot for one of the Colossae (Colossuses??? :D).
    I note that TV Server may not detect new tuners/cards until you restart the TV service. It should on MP 1.5+ but might pay to check anyway.

stephenv

Portal Member
    December 31, 2013
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Ok, after uninstalling the old drivers and installing and then uninstalling and reinstalling the new drivers a couple of times I can get both cards showing up in Device Manager and in MediaPortal. And I can see two different shows at once...

...but now I've got to sort out getting two blasters to run...

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Ok, after uninstalling the old drivers and installing and then uninstalling and reinstalling the new drivers a couple of times I can get both cards showing up in Device Manager and in MediaPortal. And I can see two different shows at once...
    Fantastic. :)
    Just out of interest, do the cards each have one capture and one encoder device in Windows device manager, or... how do they show?

...but now I've got to sort out getting two blasters to run...
    That may indeed be somewhat tricky. Please keep us in the loop with your progress, and don't hesitate to ask if you have questions. There have been a bunch of people asking about a twin Colossus/blaster setup recently so anything you can share will very likely help other people (and vice versa).

mm
    :)

stephenv

Portal Member
    December 31, 2013
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Yes, the Device Manager shows two Encoder Devices and two Capture Devices.

The devices are still behaving after a couple of reboots, so I think updating to the latest Colossus driver did the trick.

I'll start a new thread for the blaster issue.

Thanks,

Stephen

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom